Newbie Timer Question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
lobstafari

Newbie Timer Question

Post by lobstafari »

Looking to rig up a buzzer that goes off every 6 min. for 3 sec. interval, without having to reset it. Running on 110v. Any ideas? I know its simple, just cant think of the best/cheapest way.
dacflyer

Re: Newbie Timer Question

Post by dacflyer »

sounds like your building a mole chacer...
all you need is a 555 timer circuit...minimal parts... 2 resistors and a cap.
or if you set it up right,,instead of the 2 resistors you might can use a potientometer (trimmer pot)you just have to figgure up the right values to get the timing you need...if i do not forget i will figgure it out this weekend for you... but like i said,,its a super simple thing to do..ok, ttyl
jwax

Post by jwax »

I'd gladly trade a working prototype for a couple of then thar fresh Maine lobsters! :D
John
WA2RBA
lobstafari

Post by lobstafari »

Hi John,
You laugh!! I really dont know what Im doing when it comes to these types of things. Ill check into shippin costs and get back to you. It seems like a really simple thing to build, but the lack of knowledge is driving me right nuts!! I thought about playing around with an old used cheap timeclock at one point, but Id like to get it so it can be easily adjusted if 6 min isnt the perfect increment.
lobstafari

Post by lobstafari »

Thanks for the info dacflyer,
I'll look into that and try figuring it out from there. I have a buddy (local) that could help me out with all the soldering, etc, but he gave me an old watch with a broken band, and told me to use the elapsed time feature on it. Id like to have something a little more "industrial" than that
ajc-28

Post by ajc-28 »

Amperite Company (www.amperite.com) manufactures a recycling timer called the HDFA Series. It can be supplied for a 3 second on period and six minute off period. It has a SPDT 10 amp relay contact set. Their number is 201 864 9503.
jwax

Post by jwax »

OK, lobsterman- check out "Astable operation", about halfway through this tutorial. Complete with timer RC calculations.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html
I build for fresh lobster!
:)
John
WA2RBA