Help with PBC etching

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
linbob65

Help with PBC etching

Post by linbob65 »

I am looking for someone who might be able to do low cost etching. I have the circuit already drawn (CAD), but becauce of my lung problem I cannot be around harsh odors. I need 8 4" X 4" boards etched.
Mike

Re: Help with PBC etching

Post by Mike »

I use a solution called Ferric Chloride to etch boards. It is sold at RadioShack. Although it warns about good ventillation, there is no odor, I can use it in a smaller room, and not notice that it is there. If you use it outside, with the wind blowing the odors away from you, you should be even better. It also only needs a few materials, a plastic container, for etching (I use a empty butter container, rubber gloves, a piece of steel wool and rubbing alcohol (the steel wool and alcohol are for cleaning the board. Etch the board in the butter tub, use gloves to remove the board, rince the board off, put some rubbing alcohol on the steel wool, and scrub the board until clean. <p>-Mike
russlk

Post by russlk »

The ferric chloride is pretty benign but it stains and the stain will not come off. I dump the used chemical in the ceramic toilet and it does not stain that, but anything porus, watch out!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Russ, you are right, it stains almost anything it touches if it isn't smooth. I dumped it into a large laundry tub sink, made of a rougher plastic than the butter tub, filed it about a 4-5 inches of water, then walked away. I came back the next day to find it had stained the bottom a light brown. <p>-Mike
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

That ferric chloride stuff stained my clothes too. Then I switched to ammonium persulphate. The solution is clear and does not stain. I think it is a bit more expensive but then again you don't keep having to buy new clothes. I can get the stuff locally at the Fry's Electronics megastore.<p>Bob
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.