Antenna

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Julius

Antenna

Post by Julius »

On my stereo system, I have a 300ohm and 75ohm antenna. Which one I need to use and why you 300 and 75 ohm?
russlk

Re: Antenna

Post by russlk »

300 ohm twin lead was in common use years ago when signals were received by an antenna. Today, most signals come in on 75 ohm coax. If you have an FM receiver, you won't notice the difference whether you use the 300 ohm or 75 ohm inputs. With a TV receiver, you could get ghosts if you use the wrong one.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Its your choice, depending on the strength-number-distance of stations, with the 75 ohm coax application reserved for the more complex and sophisticated antenna connection. Also including its shielding characteristics for unwanted noise/interference pickup in its routing.
Otherwise,on the simple end you might look into this with 300 ohm ribbon lead for home fabrication.
http://www.kgnu.org/howtohear/antenna.html
À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ à á â ã ä å æ Æ æ…
Ç ç… Ð ð… È É Ê Ë è é ê ë… Ì Í Î Ï ì í î
ï… Ñ ñ… Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö Ø ò ó ô õ ö ø Œ œ…
Š š… Ù Ú Û Ü ù ú û ü Ý Ÿ ý ÿ… Ž ž… ƒ…
‚…„…†…‡… Þ… ß…ˆ…‰…‘…’…“…”…•…–…—…˜…™…›… …¡…!..
¢…£…¤…¥…¦…§…©…ª…«……®…¯…°…±…²…³…´…µ……•…¸…
¹…º…»…¼…½…¾…¿…?<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;)<p>[ January 14, 2005: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

If yo want a simple indoor antenna, the 300 ohm input is easier to deal with. Just connect an insulated wire to each one and arrange behind the cabinetry for best reception of your desired stations.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Another type of "antenna" I use is a "short" piece of insulated solid "bell" wire (about a foot or two). I wrap this around the power cord in a tight, single layer fashion. I leave a small length free near where the power cord enters the unit for attaching to the "center" terminal of the 75Ohm input. I wrap down the power cord then tie the last bit off in a knot. Not as good as an outdoor antenna but no wire shows.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!