"for use with information technology equipment only&quo

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
nav

"for use with information technology equipment only&quo

Post by nav »

If you see that on a small switching power supply, what concern are they addressing? Does it mean it shouldn't be used with inductive loads?
Bigglez

Re: "for use with information technology equipment only

Post by Bigglez »

nav wrote:If you see that on a small switching power supply, what concern are they addressing? Does it mean it shouldn't be used with inductive loads?
I doubt it is a technical requirement or limitation,
more likely that the product was conditionally
approved by an agency (UL for example) for a
specific use.

Not much different from some food products
sold by the box of indiviually wrapped portions
that in turn are marked "not for individual sale".

Here's an example
Here's a NEC related example
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I believe it is a way out for the manufacturer so they cannot be held liable if used on a piece of medical equipment or similar. For instance, certain devices are FDA approved in a certain configuration.

GE, for example, will specify a certain model server for a piece of medical hardware. To avoid cost they will configure it with one power supply. Most server grade chassis have multiple slots for power supplies that are hot swappable. Thus if you lose one power supply in a dual supply configuration the server lights up a warning light on the front panel and can be configured to e-mail an alert. Replacing the supply is a simple matter of pulling out the dead one and putting in a new one. Server stays up, users never know anything was wrong. Since the server GE supplies was not certified with two supplies putting in a second after the fact is not permitted. Even though the second supply is exactly the same part as the other you lose FDA certification. If that server loses a supply someone has to replace it and reboot and hope nothing corrupted data. (Murphy assures this happens at 3:00AM on a holiday weekend during a snowstorm.)

As to your switching supply. I have seen the same supplies marked Cisco, Phihong, etc. My guess is Phihong makes these and OEMs the other brand labels. Cisco will charge you $50 for the supply, you can buy the Phihong branded supply for $20. If you look at a place like All Electronics you can find the exact same supply with someone like Canon's name on it for $5. What is the difference? If you go to Cisco for a supply you just wasted $45.

It is rare that I see a situation were a supply cannot be used elsewhere if the voltage and current ratings are within range of the job. Thus if you have an old supply from an IT device (laptop, Linksys router, printer etc.) and you decide to hook it to a motor 99 out of 100 it won't know the difference.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!