Motor control requirements

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
ronv

Post by ronv »

There seems to be a need for some motor controllers. I'm thinking of building some, so would like some input on requirements:

Analog interface (0 to 5 volts)?
RC Receiver pulse (1 to 2 MS)?
Other

How many drive motors?
Voltage / current?
Motors included?
If yes Watts?

How many steering motors?
Voltage / Current
Servo motor included?
If yes speed / torque

Over current or stall protection?

Over / under voltage protection?

Power for receiver?

Price?

Other needs

Thanks, Ron V. :grin:
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

Micro stepping stepper motor drivers would be a good idea i think.
Units that can get step/256 or better would be nice if they are at
a reasonable price.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
ronv

stepper

Post by ronv »

MrAl wrote:Hi there,

Micro stepping stepper motor drivers would be a good idea i think.
Units that can get step/256 or better would be nice if they are at
a reasonable price.
Thanks for the input.

Ron V.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

There seem to be dozens of these on the market already at all different price points. What do you want to do that any of the others don't?
ronv

Post by ronv »

I for example was looking for a 24v 20 amp with a direct rc receiver pulse to drive motors. Also, a 20,000 gr/cm steering servo.
Maybe there is not a need. I just had to build my own or patch a bunch of "stuff" together.
PICmeUp

Post by PICmeUp »

The DimensionEngineering motor controllers have many very useful features - worth imitating if you are going to sell these things. I used the SyRen25 (http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SyRen25.htm), which was very good, but the price is not fabulous.

Maybe it would be worth making separate controller modules and driver modules, so the controller could take the various signals (RC, 0-5v, 0-10v, standard regulated-current controls, etc.) and output that to the various motor drivers (servo, brushed DC, brushless DC, stepper, etc.). For certain types of motors, programmable startup routines and the option of position/velocity control would be a plus. Also, the ability to implement PID control.

I'm sure all of this would be too much to do cheaply, but it would definitely be nice! Maybe abilities could be expandable? e.g. buy the PID part as a plug-in module, or buy plug-in adapters for the various signal types...
ronv

Post by ronv »

Thanks for the input!
The model you sent me is almost what i had to build. Might have paid the $80 in hindsite. I like your idea about the modules. Maybe it could be done by starting with a basic board with the artwork to support the some other features. Not sure i would want to go much beyond a bang brake bang position servo. Hard to predict the motors. I suspose if i was real smart i could do something with a dsp -- but alas.
Thanks again for the input and the link!

Ron V.