TRC-225 5 watt,40-channel Walkie-talkie (Dissassembly???)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Rodney

TRC-225 5 watt,40-channel Walkie-talkie (Dissassembly???)

Post by Rodney »

I am attempting to figure out how to open up thecase on this Walkei-talkie with no success. Any hints, I can only find three screws (one in the center back and two in the battery compartment) that appear to have some bearing on holding the front and back together but; when removed, still no seperation seems possible. Short of physical destruction, I'd sure appreciate any hints or advice.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Some possibilities -

Might be a fourth screw under a label. Especially the model number/serial number/FCC part xx label.

The case is glued and the screws were used to hold it together while glue hardened.

The case snaps together in addition to the screws.

Combinations of the above.

Just curious. What is reason for opening the case?
Dale Y
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

First, does it seem to be gripping along the seam or by some point inside the walkie. Look for hidden screws under stickers, labels and faceplates. Press on the sticker with something hard and look for a telltale dimple underneith.

Just as likely is some sort of plastic clips along the edge of the case. Run a thin flat screwdriver or knife blade along the seam and look for obstructions or clips that pop out when spread the right way.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Reason for opening; two units, one works and one does not; hope to be able to fix the one that does not work. I hate to admit my failure to open this up as I am a HAM as well as a retired EE. I did the search for hidden screws, even removed one of the labels and closely examined the others. Still has me baffled.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Can you split the seam at all to get a peek or tool inside or is it sealed up tight? Try putting one screw (or a longer similar size) in part way and pushing on it, sometimes it can be used to lever up the corner.

It's not common in small devices like a walkie talkie but sometimes screws are to hold internal parts and are not for the case. The case is either snap together or ultrasonically welded shut.

Anything in the battery compartment (that's too easy, I bet you checked)
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Hi Rodney,
I hope no one objects to this as being a little off topic :)
You know you’re a ham if . .

1. You buy electrical black tape in ten packs.

2. You’ve stripped wire with your teeth.

3. You’ve told your son that "one day, all this will be yours", and he doesn’t respond.

4. You’d rather help a buddy put up a new tower than mow the lawn.

5. You’ve grabbed the wrong end of a soldering iron.

6. You start giving out RST reports when your are on the telephone.

7. The propagation forecast means far more to you than the local weather forecast.

8. The microphone or visual aids at a meeting doen’t work and you rush up to the front to fix it.

9. You tell the XYL, when she notices a new rig in the shack, ‘why that has been there for years.’

10. Your watch is set to UTC,

11. At night, when you pray, it starts off something like: CQ CQ CQ GOD DE (your callsign).

12. You ever had to patch your roof after an antenna project.

13. Ham radio magazines comprise more than 50% of your bathroom library.

14. You ever put a GPS tracker in the XYL’s car, just so you could watch her on APRS.

15. You and the XYL took a cruise so you could visit the radio room

16. Your ever tapped out HI in Morse on your car horn to another ham.

17. You ever had an antenna fall down.

18. Your teenager refuses to ride in your car because it looks like a porcupine.

19. You know the Latitude and Longitude of you home QTH.

20. You go into the local Radio Shack store and the clerk asks you where something is.

73'S

DAVE
N0QOF