High Power Laser Disposal

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

High Power Laser Disposal

Post by jollyrgr »

I have come across an interesting problem. I have a high powered laser pair (30mW IR each) that was part of a wireless LAN. This device was used to connect two buildings during construction of a tunnel just in case the digging equipment cut our fiber. I now need to dispose of these devices. Per one coworker then further research this device cannot go to our normal scrap metal guy. Hard drives are sent to certified destruction depots. Servers and UPS units to metal recyclers. Batteries to special recycle centers. But I cannot find anything about disposing of this laser. Any ideas or links?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Mmmmm lazers... could be fun for a light show...
are these visable lazers ? how big are they ?
jwax

Post by jwax »

I'm thinking ebay! :grin:
ease

Post by ease »

I'd be willing to take these off your hands, and I'd pay for the shipping. I actually need a set of lasers for a invention I'm working on.
jaem

Post by jaem »

dacflyer wrote:Mmmmm lazers... could be fun for a light show...
are these visable lazers ? how big are they ?
jollyrgr said they were 30mW IR
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

I sent a PM. If you need a paper trail, then I can't help you (or myself either).
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If it does not contain any hazardous materials (heavy metals, toxic or CFC gasses) then it is generally legal to toss it in any trash dumpster. If it does contain these materials, it should be labeled as such unless it is removed or hidden inside a case. If you need to certify that it is non functional and scrapped, a hammer and a digital camera will do that.

As the other guys pointed out, it still has plenty of commercial value if you are authorized to sell it. More so if you sell the whole communication system link.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

A bit of background and some updates on this as I've had to research it further. Just in case someone stumbles across this thread I will try and post what I've learned so it may be of help to others.

These lasers are NOT toys and are dangerous devices. It is fine to experiment with the $1 laser pointers and so on; I do that myself. (I have a laser pointer parking device in my garage.) The lasers I'm dealing with would need to be handled by an expert as they are Class 3b and considered hazzardous. The range of these are several miles (tall building to building of course). The DIY and typical hacker should not be playing with these.

The problem is not toxic materials. These will blind you if you look at them. The beam is invisible and you would not know anything happened until it was too late. I cannot chance that some kid or idiot gets ahold of these and starts pointing them at people, pets, airplanes, etc.

Since posting I have a lead on someone that specializes in devices like this and will hopefully get rid of them. I need to have a paper trail stating that I had these destroyed. Most likely the mounts and shields will go to the scrap metal guy that we deal with. The laser sub system must be destroyed/recycled by a trustworthy company that deals with such systems. After asking around at work I found that the medical grade lasers go back to the manufacturer to be disposed of. I tried that route and found the company that made these lasers is out of business.

I would love to be able to resell or eBay these as they still work and I'm sure that someone would be able to get several more years use out of them. We simply don't need them anymore and I had to take them down. I'm sure someone with one bad unit that is still using these would love a replacement and spare; especially with the company being out of business. Unfortunately the liability of someone getting hurt with these means I need to have them destroyed and file the proof with legal that this was done.

For those wanting more information see this web site:

http://www.ncsu.edu/ehs/www99/right/han ... laser.html

Until the coworker said that I may want to be careful about just giving these to the scrap guy I've learned a lot. I knew these were dangerous but was not aware of how careful I needed to be disposing of such technology.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The paper trail is easy: laser + anvil + 3-pound hammer + lawyer's office + affidavit of the observed destruction.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Guess the rules don't apply in Israel-
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fiber-Coupled-IR-1- ... dZViewItem
Check out the wood burning!
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Dean
Your solution has got to be the winner here.
You have "hit the naill on the head" so to speak :grin:
Externet

Post by Externet »

30mW does not appear to be that much, the infrared wavelenght is the part that promotes more danger. Here is a visible one 8 times more powerful :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Flashlight-Hack!!/

edit ----> broken link ? : sorry , weird error.
--->Search for instructables laser hack and the article should show up.

Caution is mandatory at any power.

Click on 'Next step' at the above page and enjoy :smile:
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -