DIGITAL AUDIO TO ANALOG STEREO

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CK722ED

DIGITAL AUDIO TO ANALOG STEREO

Post by CK722ED »

I have a brand new 26"TV that doesn't have analog audio outputs.
There is a single RCA jack for COAXIAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT and the programmable options are PCM and DOLBY DIGITAL.
I am afraid that some conversion is required to obtain analog audio compatible with Hi Fi equipment or headset amplifiers.
I looked at D to A IC's but appears that a lot of "glue"is required.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Most newer Hi Fi amplifier or headset amplifier will have this kind of input. Particularly those intended for AV use.

A sound card on many PC also have it. If you only have an Optical input, a converter is not too hard.
optical converter

I've never seen a Coax or toslink to line level audio converter that wasn't built into an AV reciever. Given the prive of D to A converters, it would be cheaper to buy a new AV reciever or home theatre.
CK722ED

Post by CK722ED »

Thanks Haklesup! The Optical solution will be great if I had the appropiate input.
The object is to go R and L stereo to an wireless FM transmitter ( 3.5 mm plug )to be received in a headset FM radio so I can hear the TV audio without disturbing the neighborhood. When you get old, besides losing dB's the room reverbs or sounds from other sources make hearing very difficult. Looks that the CPU can't process as it used to.
Ed
jwax

Post by jwax »

Ed, What Make/Model is that set? I can't believe they did away with an analog headphone jack/output!
John
CK722ED

Digital audio to Analog stereo

Post by CK722ED »

John, the set is a Sharp LC-26DV22U, the 32" LC-32DV22U has R/L outputs via RCA jacks.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

If I'm not mistaken you should be able to purchase a stereo "Y" cable for $5-$10 that can take the TV RCA outs and allow you to connect to your wireless headset with the 3.5mm jack. Make sure the "Y" cable has the proper male/female connectors to mate with your equipment.
CK722ED

Digital Audio

Post by CK722ED »

Dear SETEC, I have several Y cables w/RCA plugs and jacks to stereo 3.5 mm plugs and jacks (I can go from XM radio to RCA inputs) but my TV set is an LC-26DV22U not an LC-32DV22U (which has the R/L jacks).
I don't understand why my set has FIVE sets of audio inputs and only two small speakers at the bottom of the cabinet pointing down to the base 3 inches away.
Am I missing something ?
Ed
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

This may be what you want Ed.

http://www.ada.net/products/bb/dam_2.php

Though it is strange that Sharp didn't include Analog Stereo Outputs on the set.

Signed:Janitor Tzap
CK722ED

Digital Audio

Post by CK722ED »

Yes Mr.J it looks like the right solution !
The problem is that at $300.00 it is too rich for me.
Perhaps there is an opportunity to develop and market a more affordable one.
Thanks
Ed
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

ED,

I came across this from a flier from MCM Electronics.
This one is a bit cheaper.
http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?pro ... CMProducts

The only other way would be to get a full Stereo Receiver that has Coax or Toslink SPDIF inputs.

Signed: Janitor Tzap