Connecting Portable CD player to car radio

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
timsinfl

Connecting Portable CD player to car radio

Post by timsinfl »

I want to add an input to my car radio to allow me to plug in the line out/headphone cable from my portable CD player or MP3 player to listen to it through my radio speakers.
It seems that if I can switch the audio right before the volume control on the radio, that might work. I just don't know how to get the impedances right. Any ideas?
myp71

Re: Connecting Portable CD player to car radio

Post by myp71 »

If you have a good budget you get a wireless transmitter at Bestbuy or ratshack for about $30.00 just plug the transmitter in to the CD player then tune your radio to the preset station and it's done :cool:
jwax

Post by jwax »

Or for $20, the RS will sell you a "CD-to-Cassette" Adapter- cat. no. 12-1999.
(Assuming your car radio has cassette)
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

them wireless transmitters SUK....they drift too much and have no range either , if you have a rear antenna and the transmitter is in the front...you might not get the stereo signal...and or they seem to drift off freq.
i'd like to have or find one stronger.. like one that will cover my whole yard at least...Hmmmm
ok, i am done ranting and raving now :p
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Unless you have a schematic, you're more likly to break the radio than you are to design a line level input plug and a switch to activate it. This would require an opamp for level shifting and isolation from the main amplifier circuit. If you have a radio with say a broken tape player, you might be able to find the preamp input used by the tape player and wire it outside then wire the tape in switch so you could switch it on.<p>In my opinion, you should use an RF modulator for CD or DVD. It plugs in series with the radio antenna and will play your audio on a predetermined FM station. It would be simple to put an extension cord on its input and mount it anywhere you want. There are a few on ebay selling for very little. Retail should be $10 to $20. Some of the better models are for car AV use and have multiple switchable inputs and remote controls (overkill)
Mike

Post by Mike »

the easy way out but just buy a new stereo. ive seen them at circuit city for like 30 or 40 bucks.<p>-Mike