looking for IC adaptor board..

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Can you just "Dead-Bug" it? Epoxy it on it's back and solder 30 ga. wire to the legs? It's not pretty, but works for prototypes, or someplace it won't be seen/scrutinized.
Edd

Post by Edd »

HEEEEEEY...Flac Dyer :

I looked thru all of my goodies and could only come up with a 16 pin SOIC break out adapter as the smallest thing that I might
have. Had to look at an old 2000 vintage computers MaMa board to see what size and spacing that 165 pitch was...found two
gigantic LSI chips using that pitch to visually eyeball that degree of spacing. I plotted up these solder pads layouts for a TSSOP,
using a bit map format so that on printout there would be no dithering in of semi and half tones to currupt the printout.
Also, I opted for max trace width permissible. Since, from the board etching aspect, you certainly can't deposit that Cu back on !
However, you can open an inter trace gap with a sharp #11 Exacto blade, if a minor portion has not totally etched apart.

This photo below is just a visual of the posted sites info (....Reference only...not exact scaled to size ) :

Now.....use this scaled online pattern sources ~ $100 +....worth of boards......babycakes!
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4145 ... inerf6.png

When I downloaded its PDF and printed out on my Hoo-Lett Plastered Laser printer, it resulted in being to within a hair widths
accuracy. A glossy build up of toner was present and no voids in the toner image, when viewed under a stereo microscope
at 50X.mag.
If by chance you come up in suspecting proportioning error on your printout, you can initially confirm the degree of error by
measuring from the very left edge of pad 1 across to the right edge of pad 8...it should measure egg-zactly 5 MM.
If you experience a minor error, it is possible,to some degree, to splay the beam leads laterally to conform to pad width.
Or also the software possibility of going into the menu of your printer for the scaling of the printing for correction.

At least this breakout adapters size now has the outer solder pads large enough to readily accomodate Kynar "wire wrap"
wire ..or larger ga... on up to # 20. Then, if you wanted / needed, you could go to the adapters back side and epoxy on a
DIP header and do the "dead cockroach" interconnect, as was so aptly suggested by Sir David D. earlier.

Since you mentioned earlier that you had handled much larger flat packs by the Flux-flux-flux-corner tack- solderflood and
wick away technique, I could only suggest that you flux and initially re-tin that new units beam leads. Just before positional
placemant onto the likewise pretinned pads of the breakout adapter. ( I use 2 B-B sized balls of gray refrigerator putty..or
modeling clay... pressed into each side an IC to lock it into position before the initial tack soldering ) After wick off, the only
final step to be the reflow stroking of individual leads with an iron with its "hypodermic needle sized" tiplet. A bit touchier on
this board, due to no solder resist, but do-able..using a large magnifier to simplify the visual inspection aspect.

73's de Edd
[email protected] ...........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:grin: :razz: :grin:

Addenda:
I will keep the bit map file at hand, should the Image Hosting site happen to drop it in time.

My wife is always telling me that I don't listen to her.......or........errr........something like that ?

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Hi Edd :D
the chips do not fit the print out..all 8 leggs on one rail of the chip cover about 6 pads on the print out..
it needs to be smaller..

the pins are 0.65mm pitch

heres a data sheet on the chip..
see attachment...

Dave Dixon >> this chip is wayyy too small to dead bug it..the spacing is just way too small.. 0.65mm apart
Edd

Post by Edd »

How 'bout that... I KNEW that the depicted picture of the cluster is at ~2x but it also seems that the hosting site converted my...otherwise unusually
small,anyway, 24 bit map info into PNG format for that referenced URL and the resulting error on the PDF sizing.

That data sheet drawing that you referenced has the unit blown up 9X, and as it says "not to scale", it being irregularly scaled between the pads so that one can not lift free art work !...plus you can see the gray semitones present as clusters of trash. Mine is totally black or white.

Sooooooo, since the situation is typically / possibly also going to occur even if I were to send it as an attachment on an E-mail. For sure, I sometimes even see caching of common low density texting across format, resulting in even it, outputting in a common Courier text..vice its origination being in either Verdana or New Times Roman font case.

Will mail the file to you on a Floppy..to same addee as 4 yrs ago ? In that manner it will be direct from computer to printer and any precise correction can be made at the printer.

73's de Edd
[email protected] ...........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:grin: :razz: :grin:

Inane Techie Foible:
"Cat's urine glows under a blacklight."