New humanoid robot from France

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bastien

New humanoid robot from France

Post by Bastien »

Hello,

I work for a French robotics firm, Aldebaran Robotics.
We are designing a 22inches humanoid robot, programmable, linux powered and affordable (less than 3000 $US).

You can learn more about our project here : http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/eng/

We are looking for robot experts to post advices, ideas and feedback on our forum.
I think we are the only company that let public take part actively to a "in dev" project, so come give us your opinion !

Thanks
zotdoc

robots

Post by zotdoc »

you said you were looking for advice - make one large enough to do a usefull task! Enjoyed your site.
Externet

Post by Externet »

What skills does it have ?

Can do the laundry?
Can prepare a salad?
Scrub the floors?
I know it won't do windows if running on Linux...
Walk the dog, and pickup after?
Shoot a burglar?
Ironing?
Bake some french bread?
Babysitting?
Wash the car?
Paint the walls?
Prepare a barbecue meal?
Will it run to the corner store for a six pack? -And bring them all-
Wash the dishes?
Program the VCR?
Mow the lawn?

What am I forgetting...?

Miguel :grin:
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Ya'll lack imagination. I can think of a few good apps for a robot that imitates a human but otherwise has limited capability to do laborous work.

For one it could be an avitar for an automated house. Sort of a high end app and a bit like an electronic butler. Or maybe a new version of the remote doctor,more mobile than the Dalek like version I keep seeing on TV.

Tied to the internet it could interact with information services or chat rooms to make your chat partners seem more alive (or even your internet phone or POTS for that matter).

Tied to the internet you could patrol your own house for security purposes (but no burgler shooting please) or even check out your friends as part of a game (kind of like how people put themselves on webcams for the public to view). Consider a virtual walkthrough on a real estate site (those guys will pay).

Even as a toy, it serves the puropse of indoctrinating childern into accepting such devices and ends up being a cool research peice for people like us. Not to mention making money for its creators.

Many apps fall in the category of improving the quality of life for handicapped persons and hospital bound individuals etc. It's been recently reported that even electronic pets convey much of the benefits real pets do for these groups and they are easier to care for.

It had better be interactive, expressive, intuitive to control, can get up if it falls and inexpensive if they want it to succeed though.

Just because its running on Linux dosen't preclude a Windows app for talking to it via the WiFi link. And it may well program the VCR if it has an IR link. Baybysitting, why not as an AV monitor you can reposition at will and can provide basic care like rocking the crib and smiling and singing. Obviously a real person needs to be nearby. It may be able to take on other tasks in a limited way.