PIC Bootloader

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Sambuchi

PIC Bootloader

Post by Sambuchi »

Hello everyone.. I am new to the PIC micros and finding them very interesting. I am programming one right now.. PIC18F4550. One of the main reasons for using these devices is a feature called bootloader mode... great for field reprogramming.

New to me... A programmer is needed the 1st time you use a chip, in order to write the boot code.

After that, you use a utility to program that will write the rest of your code starting at address 0x800 (I think), with a USB connection! wow..

I am trouble shooting my board right now and hope to get this wrapped up next week.

I was wondering if anyone here has used this feature with the PIC.. and would share their project
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

I used the tiny pic bootloader on a project. I didn't post many details, but when I built it I wrote this blog post.

I used a 16F88 and a serial port though. Also, I've not had great luck using this with the C programming environment. I think it's because I really don't understand code relocation.

I'm about to start a new job and therefore have been tied up with buying a new laptop, getting my office set up and etc... but before that I too was working on something similar. Trying to get a PIC 18F4550 working with a boot loader. I flashed my chip with the tiny pic bootloader mentioned above but then haven't had a chance to test it yet.
HighFrequency

Post by HighFrequency »

In one of my embedded programming courses we used Tiny Bootloader exclusively to program our chips. We used the serial port to do it. If you can borrow a real programmer for a little while, the bootloaders are a great way to go.
There is only one correct answer, mine.
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

Try searching this NV forum, Microchip and Electotech forums for 18F4550 and FSUSB. There are a few topics on it.
pfer10

Post by pfer10 »

You might also try here:

http://www.microchipc.com/