3 prong Philips? Tampering with the tamper proof?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cato

3 prong Philips? Tampering with the tamper proof?

Post by cato »

I have a battery pack that I want to open up. To get things apart I need to unscrew some small screws. However, the screws are a bit unusual. They are sort of like Philips screws. But instead of having a 4 pronged cross, the screw head has a symmetric 3 pronged pattern ...old dudes, think peace sign.... hip hoppers, think Mercedes symbol...yo..

Does anybody know: 1) where I can get the appropriate screw driver (I've already tried wedging the wrong screw drivers in... no joy) or 2) what the appropriate screw driver is called?

thanks
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Edd

Post by Edd »

TTO…as in Try This Out

Can’t understand why you failed in their removal with the “wedgingâ€
gerty

Post by gerty »

MCM sells a set of tamper proof bits with a couple different size tri-wings for about $9..I'm sure there are others also, Google for 'tamper proof bits'
jwax

Post by jwax »

Epoxy a nut of appropriate size to your oddball fastener and cure.
No sharp impact here- gentle torque with the appropriate nut driver and the epoxy will hold, allowing extraction.
cato

Post by cato »

Thank you gentlemen! Yous da men!
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The inside door gasket of the old Amana Radarange of the 1970s was held in place by some almost-tri-wing screws, but rather than the center of the recess being deeper than the outside similar to a Phillips, Pozidriv, Reed & Prince or Frearson Cross-slot (did I catch all the various cross-slot heads there?), the outside "wings" actually had to penetrate into the head while the center popped out nearly to the level of the head face. Typical for me, I made a tool for it by drilling out the center of a quarter-inch rod and using some needle files to work a tri-blade pattern into the end. It worked -- used it only once in my life and it has forever resided in my toolbox ever since. I'm known for my one-time-use-specially-made tools.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi Dean (and others),

I've made a few strange tip bits for unscrewing things too...

Didnt have a really small star bit one time, so ground out a star-like
end of a concrete nail. Concrete nails are hardened. I left sharp
corners which dug in and held well so the bit wouldnt slip.

Didnt have a square bit one time, so ground down the head of a
ten-penny nail to a square shape instead of round. Worked better
than a store bought bit because you could use it on an angle.

I've since then found a small star bit and a square bit too, but it
came in handy to be able to grind my own.

BTW i used a Dremel with light cutting disk.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I've used several solutions; the gluing of a nut on the head, making my own tool, cutting a "flat blade" slot in the head with a Dremel, jeweler screw driver "persuaded" into the slot, a Phillips "stripped screw remover", and the easiest (but last resort) a drill out.

When drilling use a bit JUST BIGGER than the screw shaft so that the head of the screw pops off leaving the screw shaft behind. Once the case is separated a pair of pliers will easily remove the screw. This way you can reuse the original screw hole and a standard screw. Sometimes you can get lucky and turn the drill in “reverseâ€
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Jolly
"Why is it manufacturers insist on preventing consumers from opening something they own? "

LAWYERS!! Probably some guy in a 'galaxy a long time ago' with a pacemaker and a bad heart and on a bad day following the proper phase of the moon opened one of these and got a slight tingle from a live circuit which scewed up the pacemaker and sent him to the hospital-Can we spell lawsuit. Now we all have to suffer!
Bear

Security screws???

Post by Bear »

Years ago when I was doing contracting, we did the Santa Clara county, CA. new jail facility. Each cell was outfitted with a metal plate which had a speaker behind some perforated metal & a rotary selector switch for different audio feeds(R&R, country, ETC.) After the punch-list was done & final walk-thru was being conducted there happened to be a prisoner there for some reason or another & they asked him to come over & take a look at the plate which was mounted on a 3 gang recessed electrical box. The plate was mounted with 6-32 flat head philips screws with the center security pin. They asked him if he could get the plate off the wall & he said non-chalantly "Sure. no problem". Obviously the next question was, How?. He asked for a toothbrush & a lighter. He then proceeded to soften the handle end of the toothbrush w/the lighter & push it onto the screw, let it cool for about 30 seconds & proceeded to unscrew the screw from the plate. So much for security screws!!
Hope this helps someone in the future.

Bear
gerty

Post by gerty »

Bear, are you sure that wasn't McGuyver they had in jail???
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

HArdware supersource McMaster-Carr has all kinds of security screws and tools to turn them. Educational browsing.