Programming a Computer Controlled Nitrous System

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Sockheaven

Programming a Computer Controlled Nitrous System

Post by Sockheaven »

Hi Guys, Im new to programming chips, ive done a bit of it in class at school, however its all been on an integrated board, havent ever had to select my own chips and burn from scratch.<p>Although the burning from scratch isn't the part Im worried about, Im more interested in selecting the right chip for the job. Here's what I'm going to be doing with it:<p>Im envisioning a few operations happening in a chip. The chip would need to operate at a max speed of 4 times the max speed an engine would be operating - so say 9000RPM * 4 = 36000/60Sec = 600 Operations/sec, so unless Ive gone retarded over the summer, this doesnt need to have a very fast processor.<p>Now the rest of this is all preliminary and will need some extra electronics (power transistors, and what not), but heres the general gist.<p>2 Inputs:
1) MAF voltage 0 - 6V, with resolution to hundredths
2) rpm of the car (not sure what method of actually measuring this i want to use yet, but the end result will need to be a clock based on the rpm).<p>1 Output: binary output (high=on, low=off) for a duration in microseconds.<p>Operations:
1)Take in MAF sensor voltage, using a lookup table (also will need to be burned to the chip), i need to return a normalized value (with 16 bit bandwidth).
What i mean by normalized, is that the voltage values dont correspond with a linear result, its nonlinear. Furthermore, each car has a differet input voltage range, and different curve on the lookup table, so the idea here is to make a normalizing function that when burned with the right table, will always return the same normalized value at say, 3000RPM.<p>2)Pass this normalized MAF value (by this point it should have gone through an A/D converter) send that normalized value + the RPM value (also through an A/D converter) to a Pulse Table. In here, using the Normalized MAF value and RPM, it will return a value (measured in microseconds) of how long to make a pulse.<p>3)This value then run through a function that will switch the output of the send to hi for the duration of the returned value from the Pulse table.<p>and thats it - doesnt seem to hard does it?
If anyone has some questions you can email me at [email protected]<p>Im hoping to do this for senior project, so if you guys have any ideas for the chips i should use/memory or microcontroller, etc let me know! Im very lacking in knowledge from this point.<p>Thanks much guys!
-Paul Streder