What does everyone do?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Re: What does everyone do?

Post by dacflyer »

Jolly Rodger >>> you asked....dacflyer.
How many of the traffic signals have switched over from incandescent light bulbs to LED array systems or even LED lightbulbs? This would seem like a most logical thing to do, from my stand point, for at least the red and green lights. To you I guess it would lower your work load in changing bulbs which is probably not a good thing.<p>
reply.. i cannot say how many have retrofitted..but here in my city almost everything has changerd over to leds..except for a few state owned intersections that still have incadescent lights for the yellows..and peds
we are supposed to change over to all led peds with count down timers..(tells you how much time is left to safely cross the street,when red hand starts flashing) not all pedestrians are smart here..lol<p>our bulb calls have really been reduced..very little leds fail..the retrofit leds take the place of...bulb/reflector/colored lens..
basically the signal is gutted,the led unit fits where the lens mounted..then you just connect the 2 wires,<p>our saved time is directed to other BS projects now,,,but hey...its a living...
zotdoc

Re: What does everyone do?

Post by zotdoc »

I am a general surgeon who moved out to rural Georgia 20 years ago. I have no formal electronic training, but I have built several Heathkit projects and ramsey kits since 1965. I have a few acres with a house and some horses and goats and I like to make projects that automate the place. I have used X-10 a lot, and I have established a tradition for the 4th where several friends and I shoot fireworks for a big party. Each year we try to do better and this year we will try to automate our show to music. So I am trying to learn about computer interfaces.When I think about all this the country music song, " High Tech Red Neck" always comes to mind!