A beginner needs help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Sven

A beginner needs help

Post by Sven »

Hi, i have a pc board kit and books and stuff about making all of this stuff but i am unsure of how to design my own pc board and stuff. How will i know if it works correctly and how do i know when things need to be put in and where. Also if anyone has some PCB Designs that i can try as a newbie i would love a pic of a layout. Thanks,
-Steve
Mike

Re: A beginner needs help

Post by Mike »

PCBs aren't exactly easy to make for a beginner.<p>for the easiest way, you need glossy laser paper, a laser printer, a layout on the PC, an iron, etchant, and rubbing alcohol.<p>Try searching the forum. I've posted many times how to make pcbs, and don't feel like going over it again and again. Maybe I'll add this to my website someday.<p>As for making the design, use Eagle Layout editor. www.cadsoft.de
Sven

Post by Sven »

I have etchant and circuit board and all that stuff i just dont understand how i would figure out what is needed to build a working circuit board. Like how do i figure out were a small resistor goes on the circuit board and why is it there etc.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

I second the recomendation to use Eagle. Someone here told me about it and I couldn't be more pleased with it. The freeware version is sufficient for a beginner.
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Do you have any electronics background?<p>Placing components was, for me anyway, something that came with practice. Download and install Eagle. Find some simple circuits on the web. They are everywhere so that's easy. Once you have something to "copy" use Eagle to build the schematic. Then use the board editor and place your components. It will make more sense once you see what Eagle needs you to do.
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Sven

Post by Sven »

I have a bit of electronics background just from being a curious kid and loving audio and electronics
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Good enough... A lot of people are like that. Email me if you need any help. I'll do what I can. If nothing else I can send you my links.<p> [email protected]