Is it possible to save online edition issues?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
rhaendel

Is it possible to save online edition issues?

Post by rhaendel »

Does anyone know if there is a way to save each issue NV's online edition for later reading and/or achiving?
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to save online edition issues?

Post by Michael Kaudze »

The "Online" Editions of Nuts & Volts magazine can only be viewed online. The issues will always remain on a secure server where you can view them anytime you like. If your subscription expires you will still be able to read the issues you subscribed to, they will never go away.<p>[ August 22, 2005: Message edited by: Michael - NV HQ ]</p>
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Just playing devil's advocate here...
Regarding your use of the word always, I read an article from a January 2003 Poptronics article explaining how to use the ISD ChipCorder chips with a PIC mcu. The article was awesome but to conserve space, the code for the PIC processor was posted on their website for download...<p>I wish I could see that code now, but it's gone.<p>By the way, if you ever see something on the web that you want to save for later, but don't really care to print it, you can check out PDFcreator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator) which is a windows printer driver that saves documents as PDF files. Just hit the print button on any windows program, choose the PDFcreator printer from your list of printers and then pick a file name when PDFcreator prompts you (after the print job is processed).<p>For people who don't care to use that software or don't have windows, just create a printer using the driver for any postscript capable printer (such as Apple Laser Writter IIc) and tell it to save the print job to a file. Then, when you've got a postscript file, use the free "Gnu GhostScript" utils to convert the ps file to a PDF.<p>[ August 22, 2005: Message edited by: Matt Nuzum ]</p>
mpiluso

Post by mpiluso »

One of the things I was hoping for (and suggested to N&V) was the capability to download issues locally. Why don't we have that capability? Having an online issue is more of an annoyance when you can't save it. I think it's useless as it is now.
philba

Post by philba »

Same reason the music industry doesn't want you to have unprotected copies of their music. They don't trust you.
mpiluso

Post by mpiluso »

I think we all know why they did it, but there's technology that satifies both parties. Why not Adobe eBooks? You get to download it once to one computer only and you can print the book later. Redistributing the file proves useless.
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

You guys can now download your Online Issues to your hard drive. Look for the download feature in your tool bar when your logged in to view the issues. Select the issue you want to view - then the download feature will appear in your tool bar.

Happy Holidays.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.