Dim LED's

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CubDriver

Dim LED's

Post by CubDriver »

I have three independent circuits that drive LED's as output indicators in a display. Is there a circuit I can build that will dim the three ouput LED's with one control? Charlie
russlk

Re: Dim LED's

Post by russlk »

Altho the control circuits are independent, the power supply is common, so put a resistor or other control in the common lead.
chessman

Post by chessman »

Of course, make sure you don't try to change the brightness of massive amounts of LEDs with one standard pot..... :D
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Yeah, and furthermore, one pot to control 3 LEDs will only work if they all switch on and off together. You could vary the voltage of the power supply that they run on. An emitter follower with the base going to the wiper of a pot which is connected across the supply might suffice.<p>Ron
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

or how about changing the leds to dimmer leds.. not all leds are bright... i got a box full of dim leds and painfully bright leds...
if you need any let me know...
send me a e-mail
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

The brightness specified in(mcd micro-candelas)would be a good place to start. Everything done decently has some kind of specs set by the parts company but the designer's choice sometimes has oddball appeal in the novelty market. <p>High end products follow shape and curves sometimes like cars and sometimes like designer tennis shoes. Rarely do visable components jump out at you when on display but when you fire up the controls some people like alot of color and action depending on the end use and the age market, never forget that woman are buyers.<p>The VCR got lighter and has stereo,the controls look like joysticks and the rewind goes into hyper warp with a robotic dolby like eject.
But have you ever seen one you can simply find the off button so you can go to bed.
chessman

Post by chessman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 1206DX:
never forget that woman are buyers.
<hr></blockquote><p>Hmm....does that mean we should be 500 different controls on the front? I can see it now: "Take a look at our cute new industrial robot control system equipped with 15 10A outputs and a calorie counter displaying how much exercise you get pushing the on button!"