ID for strange looking tube WL 7908

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
rbfrench

ID for strange looking tube WL 7908

Post by rbfrench »

I have a gov. surplus tube about 5inches long & 1/2 inch diameter with three wires coming out the back made by Westinghouse and labeled WL 7908 also similar tube by Dumont K 1853. What is it for?
rbfrench

Re: ID for strange looking tube WL 7908

Post by rbfrench »

I forgot to say in the original posting that the front of the tube is perfectly flat and appears to be for passing some form of radiation either in or out of the tube.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Does it have a exit surface at the back?<p>Is the front Chrome flat surface or Cream / white-ish /green?<p>It culd be a photon counter, or radaition counter?<p>Are the wires White, black and red, or another color?
russlk

Post by russlk »

Could you post a picture?
rbfrench

Post by rbfrench »

The window in front is clear but may be tinted as I have trouble seeing inside. Around the side at the front it is silvered and I assume that it is due to the getter. There are three wires black, red and white that come out of the cardboard that the tube is mounted in. The inside of the tube has about 5 "S" shaped baffles that go back and forth across the tube each one tied to a separate wire that goes back to the base inside the cardboard. Besides those 5 wires there are 8 others that go to the base but only the three come out. I have scanned it and can send that picture. It does not show the internal structure very well and don't know how to get it on the bulletin board.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Sounds like a photon counter.<p>Clear-ish means all colors, silver and darker are for UV, and Ir as well as radiation because all of those regions of the spectrum penetrates the silvered coatings. <p>My guess is a photon counter. Look up three wire photon counters, and experiment with the leads to see if they corrispond to the other counters. [simalar] Both with a ohm meter and voltage.
rbfrench

Post by rbfrench »

Thanks a lot Chris. I have had these things for probably 15 years and wanted to find out what they were before I let them go. I'll have to start looking there and see if I can confirm it. I really don't know what I could possibly use them for and since we moved into a new house they have been in my way. I can think of a lot of things that are more important to me now than photon counters. I used to be active in the Army MARS program and that is where I got them. They should send directions with things they give away. Again many thanks for the trouble. Richard
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

You might use them as expensive light detectors? <p>Actually if they are photon counters, they can detect light from such soiurces as rotting vegitation! <p>What good is that to you? <p>They would be just glorified light sensors that amplify and convert each photon in to a millon to one or more electrons, but for most people, what can you do with them?
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Now are those photons magnetic electrons statically speaking? :D <p>bodgy :p<p>[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: bodgy ]</p>
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Cute Bodge!<p>The deeper you get into physics, the bigger the wall.