LM386 Op Amp

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Smitty

LM386 Op Amp

Post by Smitty »

I'm trying to design a circuit using a surface mount LM386 Op Amp and I have a couple of questions if anyone can help.
When I go to order a few of these, I see there are different ratings, 6 Volts, 9 Volts, 12 Volts. Are these voltage ratings the minimum to power the IC or are they the maximum? If they are the minimum, then what is the maximum? Does anyone know a supplier where I can get a surface mount version that will work on 3 volts? Eseentially, I would like a version that will work on as little as 3 volts up to as much as 9 volts. Any help is appreciated.<p>Smitty
viveguy

Re: LM386 Op Amp

Post by viveguy »

The nice thing about using the LM386 is that the input is interally biased to 1/2Vcc. This spares you having to provide an external resistive divider.
Now it is my recollection that this is a 36V part.I believe that the other Vcc ratings are given to show the other critical parameters at that voltage (max Po,offsets,noise,etc.)
There are quite a few 3V power amplifiers out there targeted toward portable and PC applications.Check National,Texas Instrument,Maxim or Analog Devices websites.TI in particular has a large selection of class D amplifiers,which are designed for low power consumption. Also sign up for all of the news letters.Most of the offer samples and/or evaluation boards.<p>Regards,
Al
L. Daniel Rosa

Re: LM386 Op Amp

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

I've got the specs right here. I'll send them to you. Now, if anybody else wants to know, they work down to 4V or so. The output is self centering, and the inputs are limited to +/- 0.4V with respect to the negative supply rail. They'd make lousy opamps with their inputs and outputs being incompatible. If you'd rather use an opamp, I've seen some techniques to increase their drive and I'll send them too if you like.