Is the US going to be lead free??

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
revellady682

Is the US going to be lead free??

Post by revellady682 »

Hello everyone new to the board, but have been a lurker for some time now, I just never posted because us beginners can feel a little put off by all the more experienced talent, I have a quick question and I knew this would be the place to ask.
There is a law in the UK/EU coming into force July this year which effectively prohibits the use of lead in electronic goods.
This includes solder and any component including ICs.
Are there any existing or pending US laws governing the import/construction of electronic goods containing lead?
And where might one find info on lead free technologies?

Thank you for the time everyone, I love the board by the way.
Stuff happens, but why does it always happen to me??
JPKNHTP

Re: Is the US going to be lead free??

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

A lot of companies in the US are offering lead free already. The law is always behind, but Im sure its on the way. Its better for the land fills and water table.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Lead-free products are one part of the RoHS initiative (I believe mercury and cadmium are a couple of others). Since many important markets will require RoHS compliance, most American companies are going to comply sooner or later, with or without a change in U.S. federal law. There are exceptions to the change to lead-free, such as medical and aerospace applications.
The majority of lead-free solders are almost entirely tin, with very very little copper added. Some formulae include <1% silver also. Google on "RoHS" or big names in the business such as Alpha and Kester solder manufacturers. I bet you'll find plenty of info.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

Has anyone here tried hand soldering with lead-free solder? What techniques need to change to do lead free assembly?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The plumbing trade has been using lead-free solder instead of the traditional 50/50 alloy for a couple of years now. So far, I find that sweating copper with the lead-free to be no more difficult than with the 50/50. As with the leaded solder, the key element is getting the parts oxide-free, using lots of a good flux and heating the joint properly. Do it right, no problem.

My curiosity was prodding me to "Google" for "Lead-Free Eutectic Solder" and one site I found looked pretty interesting and authoratative. Here's a melting point table for various alloys:

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/div853/lead ... l#%202.1.2.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I use plumbing solder on my projects all the time simply because I can get it at the local hardware store, instead of Web ordering the proper stuff.

The only noticeable difference is it stays solid a little longer, then melts real quick in a normal fashion.

I haven’t done a temp comparison for the melting point difference yet.

Also I "liberally" apply the flux on all jobs as this seems to take care of any differences in reaction time, as I suspect oxides slow down the conduction of heat more so on this solder?
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I've serviced a few products that said "lead free" right on the PC board. Just a couple days ago I saw it screened on a board in a 34 inch Panasonic TV built 1 year ago.

I suspect Sony has been using it for a year or two also.

I usually use 60/40, but I have used 95/5 (lead free). I needs to get hotter, and doesn't seem to flow as well as 60/40. I've also tried twisting 60/40 and 95/5 together. That seems to flow nicely, but it doesn't really solve the problem; it still has lead in it.

I'm still experimenting with it....I figure different companies use different fluxes. Maybe I just haven't found the right blend yet.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello,

What about Lead-Acid batteries?

Take care,
Al
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

JPKN....The plumber solder is lead free.

I never use acid core on anything except on battery cables in the 0 or 00 range,... with a flame.

I can web purchase the 60/40 etc, but the lead free works well except that its less "plastic" unless you apply liberal amounts of Chloride [not rosin per se] type of flux and what seems to be a increase in dedicated heat.

The flux is water soluble so clean up is better as well.
philba

Post by philba »

I heard a piece on NPR this morning about an unintended causualty of the lead free laws - pipe organ manufacturers. apparently, the pipes are cast individually and they use a lead based alloy. The woman they interviewed said that most pipe organs are recycled (they reuse the metal) so they are seeking a waiver but it has to come in the form of a lawsuit.

On the heat for hand soldering lead-free, manufacturers suggest setting tip temperature at 700F. Many datasheets will include a reflow profile and, iirc, its about 30-40C higher for lead-free solder.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The trouble with "plumbers' solder" vs. "electronics solder" is that 1) the plumbers' solder is 1/8" diameter and hardly makes it easy working with most electronics circuitry and 2) it has no core and definitely requires an external flux bath.

Regardless of the state of the lead-free issue, I'll stick with my 63/37 eutectic alloy and buy up all I can before it becomes illegal to sell. It'll be illegal to use? Pu-leeze! Like I'm going to be looking over my shoulder all the time for the lead cops.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Go out kicking and screaming Dean, we all want to!

Yes the solder I use is large, lots of flux, extra heat, ....but buy anything from the real world where I live? Not an option.

UPS is our store front.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless