Can BS2 serial output to a cellphone LCD display?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
EARTHSTAMP

Can BS2 serial output to a cellphone LCD display?

Post by EARTHSTAMP »

I would like to output to a nokia cellphone display.
VernGraner

Re: Can BS2 serial output to a cellphone LCD display?

Post by VernGraner »

hmmm... This would be tough. I know the nokia has a custom interface on the bottom of it but getting the pin-out and the communication protocols might be a bit larger a project than would be practical. Could you maybe use the stamp's DTMF output to dial a landline and then send a numeric message to the display? Maybe use one of those 1200/2400 baud modems they sell that the basic stamp can hook directly to that would allow you to send a text page to the phone? To be honest, if you want to do somthing like this it would be better to give a *lot* more detail than one sentence as it makes it hard to figure out what you are trying to do.. :) <p>Also, figure that for one sentence of you input you're expecting paragraphs of response from the body here? Best to invest a bit more than that for a better return from the folks on the board! ;) <p>Vern
--
Vern Graner
chessman

Post by chessman »

More details please.....do you want to use just the LCD or keep the phone intact and hook into the entire phone unit? If you want to keep it intact, you're going to have to figure out a way to hack the onboard OS.<p>There probably is not a way to display stuff on the phone as a whole unit. Your best approach is to use just the LCD and not the whole phone.<p>If you want to keep the phone intact, good luck, and hats off to anyone that is able to figure it out.<p>Cheers,
~Kyle
EARTHSTAMP

Post by EARTHSTAMP »

I would like to somehow connect the Nokia cellphone to the BS2.
The Nokia LCD display input has a ribbon with about 80 very small wires which presses down onto 9 contact wires on the key board.
Still looking if I can access the display through a data cable.
So that I could output to the cellphone
OR
Would be nice if multiple BS2 with cellphone assemblies could alert me of any system faults.
Why?
Because many cellphones with the same phone number cost less then many land lines.