InfraRed to Radio Waves

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Michael-love-electronics

InfraRed to Radio Waves

Post by Michael-love-electronics »

Hi,...<p>I want to make a device that receives the signal from an IR(Infra Red) TV remote control then send it across radio waves to another receiver that is quite far away from the first receiver, then the second receiver send the signal to the TV using IR waves.<p>So,... Any Ideas<p> Thanks for any Help :)
ljbeng

Re: InfraRed to Radio Waves

Post by ljbeng »

chessman

Post by chessman »

Do you have experience with micro-controllers? If so, a PIC could do what you're asking for.<p>If not, I would get a BASIC Stamp by Parallax and the cooresponding RF transmitters and IR receivers / transmitters.<p>If you choose to go the microcontroller route there are a lot of people that are better with them than me, but I thought I'd just let you know.<p>Feel free to email me if you want.
Michael-love-electronics

Hi,..<p>Does anyone has a schematic for the device in the following link.????<p>http://www.x10.com/products/x10_pm5900.htm <p>Thanks for all your help
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Sky Vision Satellites sells them.
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

You can break it down
1. IR photo diode reciever
2. an fm transmitter<p>the IR reciever output goes into the transmitter input or replaces the microphone and audio amplifier of the fm transmitter.<p>Remotes that use IR ie television, vcr, stereo, can operate on the same band but on different frequencies.<p>[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: dimbulb ]</p>
Michael-love-electronics

Hi,..<p>There's something I can't understand, The TV remote IR diode will have a certain frequency "F1" while the IR receiver in the device will have another frequency "F2".
Also the "F1" will change as the type of the remote change whereas "F2" is always constant.<p>So How transmitting and receiving will take place between the several remotes and the device with these different frequencies.???<p>Thanks for all your help. :eek:<p>[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Michael Wahid ]</p>
Michael-love-electronics

Does anyone has a detailed schematic for that device.???<p>I'll appreciate any help.
desterline

Post by desterline »

How far does it need to go? If the distance is 'medium' (in the same house) there are several other ways to do it that might be easier. <p>Denny
Michael-love-electronics

Yes it's in the same house, it's about 10m<p> :eek:
desterline

Post by desterline »

Well, the thought that was floating around in my head was an infrared repeater. Just a simple device that recieves the infrared signals and rebroadcasts them. If neccesary the reciever and transmitter parts could be seperated by some distance of wire, allowing you to effectily signal around corners and through walls.<p>You may alreday be fammiliar with some of this, but I describe it anyway.<p>Most (if not all) infrared remotes work by encoding a data protocol onto a square wave modulated signal, usualy about 40KHz although I've seen as low as 32KHZ and as high as 56KHz. The recivers are a small three terminal device that does all the work for you. All you have to do is provide power and ground and it outputs a ttl compatible demodulated datastream. They are available through Digi-key, Mouser, somtimes RatShack as well as others for less than about $3. But you do need to match the carier frequncy of your remote.<p>In this kind of application, you don't even need to decode the data protocol, simply remodulate it and rebroadcast it. A 555 easily provides a stable enough frequency for the modulation. Logicly AND the data stream and the modulaton signal, and send it to an infrared LED, presto! You don't realy need any logic chips in this either, there's a couple other ways to mix the signals.<p>With a little thought I'm sure you could expand this to your application. You could seperate the recieve and transmit functions on a cable to the other room... or maybe add a power tranistor and a lot more infrared emitters, so it would shine farther...<p>Good luck
Denny
desterline

Post by desterline »

I just came accross this and thought it might be a better solution. Less than $30 and complete.<p> http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c ... type=store<p>Denny
Michael-love-electronics

Hi,..<p>Do all the IR-Receivers receive the same freq from the transmitters.??????
i.e(Sharp,Nantional,sony,.....etc)
Do they have the same freq.???????<p>Thanks for help
Riptide

Post by Riptide »

Hi,
Denny wrote:
"I just came accross this and thought it might be a better solution. Less than $30 and complete.
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c ... type=store"<p>Can the RF dauhgter card (assuming it has one)be removed from this remote and used in another?<p>Thanks,
RT