Barcode scanner

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
faultman

Barcode scanner

Post by faultman »

I have a project coming up and I'll need to detect a barcode. 3 of 9 is prefered but for now any barcode will do and I'll need it to provide or drive a set of dry contacts. I'm not interested in the barcode information itself at this time but only to make sure one is there. I'm trying to stay away for using a computer if at all posible. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,<p>Frank
Chris Smith

Re: Barcode scanner

Post by Chris Smith »

Behind every scanner, is a computer and its needed software?
desterline

Post by desterline »

I can imagine bypassing the scanning engine and collecting the raw on/off from the pickup (phototransistor / photodiode / whatever) then just checking that you have several transitions of some length....<p>Don't see the advantage though, it would require consistant feed rates and environment etc...<p>Lots of barcode scanners are what's called a "keyboard wedge". They plug in between the computer and keboard and barcode data looks just like it was typed. <p>Add that to availible plans for various keyboard interfaces from PIC micros, and the basic building blocks are there to connect a scanner to a PIC without a computer.<p>One other thought, I have a scanner that beeps after it reads a barcode. It might be possible to pick a signal off the beeper instead of the data lines. I guess this would depend on weather or not the scanner needs "handshaking" with a pc.<p>Good luck
-Denny
faultman

Post by faultman »

Thanks Denny, that works fine. The scanner that I'm trying has an accept and reject lamp. That provides plenty of signal to drive a detector and that allows me to drive a relay. From there it's a piece of cake. Thanks for the ideas.<p>Frank