DC-AC converter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

DC-AC converter

Post by Mike »

i need to know what kind of chip can convert a 12V DC input to a 12V AC output to drive a 120-12V transformer backwards. Basically, what I want to do is make a device that if the power goes out I can power a lamp, small radio or even possibly a small 13" TV??<p>i will connect a standard car battery to the input and need 120VAC output.
ajc-28

Re: DC-AC converter

Post by ajc-28 »

You don't need a chip. All you need is two npn or PNP transistors hooked up to the primary of a transformer in a multivibrator configuration so that the circuit oscillates at about 60 Hertz as determined by the selection of the R and C values. The secondary of that transformer would then be AC. I can't draw the diagram here but I am sure you can find the circuit at dozens of locations on the internet.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Try a search on "power inverter" or "dc inverter".
That is what the circuitry is called. Good luck,
Dave
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Find a deceased uninterruptible power supply; 9 of 10 only need battery replacement to be alive again and will power a few lights and television.
Or get an inverter for automobiles, they are inexpensive.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Mike

Post by Mike »

thanks ajc-28, i will look.<p>and i dont want to buy one, i want to build one.
josmith

Post by josmith »

I've tried to make a "junk box" inverter. It's an interesting project but if you really need an inverter, you're better off buying one.
If you use the transformer windings as part of the oscillator, the frequency will be load dependent.
Remember that each amp out is going to draw more than ten in so you need heavy input components and a heavy transformer.
Have fun, then go buy one.
Mike

Post by Mike »

heavy transformer?... hmm guess the 2A one i have wont work...<p>how do those ones you buy put out so many watts yet be so small?<p>Can somebody describe how to connect the transistors like ajc-28 said?
ajc-28

Post by ajc-28 »

I'll try to describe the circuit using NPN power transistors. Use a center tapped primary with the center tap connected to + DC supply. Connect the
collector of each transistor to the other primary connections, one transistor to one primary wire.
Connect the two emitters to the minus supply rail.
Now take an RC network (resistor and capacitor in parallel) and connect one of the transistor base wires to the opposite collector. Take another RC network and repeat for the other transistor. The values of R and C determine the frequency, which you can experiment with. Start with 10K and 47 ufd.
When you apply power the circuit should oscillate, and there will be an AC voltage at the secondary of the transformer.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The 2A transformer will work, but 2A on the 12V side is less than 200mA on the 120V side.<p>That means less than 24W; it won't power the lamp, the TV is out of the question.
Dale Y
Mike

Post by Mike »

well, it would power a 20W or maaybe a 25W right? i mean, wouldn't it at least light it?
Mike

Post by Mike »

oh, and i don't have a center tapped primary, only secondary. Will it still work?<p>the secondary is 12V and the primary is 120V, so I would want to use it backwards anyway, right?<p>[ April 28, 2004: Message edited by: Mike ]</p>
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Yeah, anything under 20W is okay, but you can buy a lot of 12V bulbs cheaper and easier.
Dale Y
Mike

Post by Mike »

if you can't open the picture by clicking on it, it will come up with a Remote Linking Forbidden error.<p>You need to right click on it and save as.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

well for bout 40.00 you can buy a 400watt inverter made by husky,, i got 3 and they seem to be pretty good for the cost...
altho i am looking for a true sine wave inverter, just haven't found one yet... i want at least a 1kw if i can find one ....
the 400 watt ones are modified sine wave... they work good for most things...only things that do not work too good are theose that depend on line frequency like clocks etc.. makes them run too fast..lol