parallel port .wav trigger

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ian

parallel port .wav trigger

Post by ian »

Anybody got any ideas of how to trigger .wav files based on a parallel port input? I'm need to trigger various .wav files based on external events, is this the way to go or does anybody have a better idea?
ljbeng

Re: parallel port .wav trigger

Post by ljbeng »

I do the opposite. I wrote a VB5 program that triggers the parallel port and then plays a wave file to an ISD chip for recording. Would be willing to modify to trigger the other way. Use my contact form at www.ljbeng.com
ian

Post by ian »

Well you have the info, if you want to quote me a price go ahead.
bwts

Post by bwts »

Do u have a sound card? If so you can use the joystick port as a MIDI input there are plenty off MIDI sequencers U usually get them free with the sound card. U can use the MIDI input to trigger wav files on your computer.<p>B)
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
ljbeng

Post by ljbeng »

I believe there are 8 inputs available to trigger. Do you want to just have 8 wav files that get played depending on which input is active? Or, do you want to use the 8 inputs as an address to play 1 of 256 wav files? How do you want to structure the play list? A simple text file containing the names and location of the wav file to play would be a very simple way to modify the play list without modifying the VB5 program. The VB5 program could then just respond to the inputs from the parallel port and use the text file as a map for the play list. Let me know if this sounds reasonable and I will get you a (cheap) price.<p>[ February 17, 2003: Message edited by: ljbeng ]</p>