charging golf cart batteries

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
paulrevelcet

charging golf cart batteries

Post by paulrevelcet »

I am building an ice cream truck and I plan on using inverters for power instead of generators because of the noise and cost per day to run, I am going to use 4 golf cart batteries rated at 6v/215AH and are the lead-acid type, they will be in series and parallel to give me 12 volts and 430 amp hours, I plan on replacing the alternator with the biggest one I can get which is 100 amp with an external voltage regulator and a battery isolator,question is will I need anything special to charge the battery bank from the alternator?
Second question, is there some sort of universal bracket kit for two altranators on a 351 Cleveland just in case I am going to need two alternators?
Third question, what kind of charger will they need at home to charge there battery bank at the end of the day? OH and can someone recommend a good brand of inverter,3000 watts or more.

Thanks for all the help.

<small>[ October 27, 2005, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: paulrevelcet ]</small>
dacflyer

Re: charging golf cart batteries

Post by dacflyer »

for inverters, that big, it will cost lots..
in the thousand dollar range or more.
i have seen some cars with dual alternators..
like old lincon continental town cars.
most ppl i know make their own brackets etc.. its not too hard.
as for recharging tha batteries at night,,,just use a large battery charger. with automatic control..
not too complicated.. oh, also use very heavy welding cables from battery to inverter. and make sure the connections are good and tight.. 2000 watts will easily exceede 250 amps on the battery side , also look at solar web sites for the inverters etc.. i think
http://www.cetsolar.com/gopowerpuresine.htm

http://www.mrsolar.com/ ...look on the side under inverters,many to see there.
jwax

Re: charging golf cart batteries

Post by jwax »

It would help to know your power demand/time curve over a typical day of operation. Pulling 250-300 amps from the batteries to supply 3000 watts will deplete the batteries in less than an hour.
If you're going to "add an alternator" anyway, consider a 120 VAC generator instead. Forget the expensive inverter that way. Use smaller wire too.
I charged four deep cycle 12v 100 amp/hr batteries with four Sears chargers. That was a 48 volt application, and balancing the different battery state-of-charge was a concern. That was one HOT gokart!
WA2RBA