Scoreboard design

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
onering

Scoreboard design

Post by onering »

I am looking for some plans to build a simple scoreboard, (scores only). I prefer to use low voltage bulbs as opposed to LEDs, mainly because of the size I would like to make it and the price of LEDs. I have a large number of 12volt bulbs available - any ideas?
haklesup

Re: Scoreboard design

Post by haklesup »

Do you mean a grid of 6x8 lamps which you light up selectively to display numbers. or some other arrangement of lights. You could make a 7-segment display with the 12V bulbs if you built some sort of bezel/frame and filter to form the characters.<p>However you do it, you will quickly find that you need a lot more power (current and voltage) to light the bulbs than you would with LEDs. As such you either need IC's with very high output current (for direct drive) or drive a transistor with 5V logic to boost it to 12V and switch more current. In either case, the extra component cost for the drivers and mounting hardware may offset the extra cost of the LEDs.<p>There are many solutions for making numbered displays but I don't want to ramble on about how without knowing more about your project. <p>If you shop around, you can find very low priced LED's and transistors in bulk. Look at the surplus electronics companies (some advertize in N&V)<p>[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: haklesup ]</p>