What's Your planned Project for 2024 ?

Get help with your Nuts & Volts projects or Kits purchased from Nuts & Volts here.
dacflyer

What's Your planned Project for 2024 ?

Post by dacflyer »

I'm Hoping to revamp one of my early led ring clocks.. 216 leds total.
1 ring 60 for seconds (60 leds)
2 rings for the minutes (120 leds)
3 segmented rings for the hours (36 leds)
This all was a wiring nightmare, but it worked, I only used 4017 counter chips and time base was the 60Hz. AC from the wall.
It worked perfectly, so long as there was no RF interference near by.. I got a CFL bulb near the clock one day. and the clock went into warp time..
other than that it kept perfect time.. when power went out, I'd have to take the time to set it again.. no memory back up or battery back up.
I've recently tried to update the clock to become a smart clock.. Well, this didn't work out well, was trying to use the MAX7219 matrix 8x8 display driver.
it was easier to order the boards with the little 8x8 displays, so i removed the displays and just used the boards. I had to painstakingly rewire the display.
everything tested ok,, but i noticed that it was starting to cook the leds. I checked everything i could think of, couldn't figure out why the leds were cooking. Too much drive current ? The 8x8 displays worked just fine, but not with my leds. I was using red, green and blue leds, some paralleled, some single. didn't matter. So, I have scrapped that idea..Couldn't think of another way to make/drive the displays.
So NEW idea now.. Remove all the leds, and replace them with WS2812D (5mm RGB leds.) I have a friend that can help write the code for me,, He's helped me with code for all my other smart clocks. I'll Replace all the leds 1st, then use a test sketch to make sure all is working ok,,then give him the info, which pins i'm using etc. This clock will be GPS enabled so that it's self setting. and a RTC for time backup.
I'm just waiting for the leds to arrive.
Any tips or comments ?

My other project I wanna do it,, build me a VU meter led strip.. I've seen videos and projects on the TUBE Using color changing leds and Arduinos, but there seems to be latency from the music to sound.. the leds are off.. not tracking good like the good ol LM39** series.
I'm wondering if there's any sort of Mcu that is faster and more accurate ? or is this not possible.
If i must, I'll just build me a classic LM39** type, I want something with about 30 leds.. at least 16" in length.
Any Tips ?
dyarker

Re: What's Your planned Project for 2024 ?

Post by dyarker »

... to cook the leds.
Repeat 100 times.

"LEDs are not light bulbs, they behave differently." {end of repeat phrase}

LEDs need current control. Different colors have different characteristic voltage drops, and can not share limit resistors between colors. Even for same color serial is better than parallel (same current).

I think last week's N&V e-mail had an article about LEDs. I did a quick scan, it looks like it would useful for those inexperienced with LEDs.

Cheers,
Dale Y
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

P.S. LED bulbs are a different beast than individual LEDs. 6V LED bulbs (for example) have built in resistors to control current in that bulb; different color bulbs of same voltage can be paralleled. 120VAC (240VAC in other countries) LED bulbs also have built in rectifier because LEDs are unipolar diodes. (they light with current in one direction only, and have a low reverse voltage (instant death if more than reverse 5V applied))
Dale Y
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Several:

My youngest's Realistic Clarinette stereo (see one of my previous posts under General) will be getting an upgrade in the output department. I bought some PAM8610 Class D amp boards (15W stereo) and will be putting one in that stereo , not only for a big power increase, but also a much needed frequency range extension. The original amp chip is lucky to put out 2 watts, and the output caps are so small that they cut off at around 100-120 Hz. It needs the help. Also adding in one more input to plug in a Blu Ray player so CDs can be played.
(3 boards were only $8 on that big on-line Jungle place, couldn't pass up)

Going to go forward with my Dollar Tree stereo system - most stuff is good to go, just need to make up a preamp so I can control the volume of the 2nd Blu Ray player (for CDs) and switch between 2 MP3 players and a BlueTooth receiver. The last 3, most likely, will need to have a bit of a boost to push the little boomer amps to full power (3W @ 3ohm). Don't judge me. :mrgreen:

New TV for Xmas, so that needs to get set up and any external audio needs to be determined.

This year, I want to dig into the good stereo system, rehab what needs attention, and clean / rewire everything. We've got all this new music from all the concerts we've been to since things have eased open again, and the system is having issues.
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i know aboot leds.. there's even a current control on the chip driver, red leds use less current than the green or blue.. so if anything the leds should have been dimmer. Maybe my form of a matrix and the 8x8 weren't compatible. the 8x8 doesn't have any resistors in it.
or maybe not using all 64 leds in my matrix threw things off ? eitherway.. it didn't work, and i'm on to revamping with the ws2812's
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

i know aboot leds.
Apparently not.
or maybe not using all 64 leds in my matrix threw things off ?
If all were used at once you'd never see and letters or numbers.

And the LED matrix would not have resistors unless the manufacture specifies drive voltage and duty cycle. A driver array IC may have built in current limiting. The WS2812 should make things easier for you.

added a day later-
This: http://www.yarker-dsyc.info/D_Notebook/ ... asics.html
might be useful even though I rushed it on-line.
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

I already got the WS2812's in.. started removing all the old ones.. the reds and blues will be recycled, but the greens were toast.

I'll have to figure out how i'll wire them up.. single ring is no problem, but when i get to 2 and 3 rings. will be my hurdle..thinking how to best wire them, and then figure out how my buddy will write the code for them...I have another buddy on TG that is a led genius.. I'll see if i can get him to help as well..
will mount all the leds and the power rails, before the data lines.. make some headway.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

UpDate >> I started populating the clock face this weekend, and since it was too cold to work outside, I spent most of the weekend wiring up the leds.
did a few test runs with a simple sketch to make sure all the leds were working. I have to still wire in the hours section.
the seconds is a single ring,.the minutes is 2 rings, I paralleled the 2 data lines for the 2 rings, works great,. I found out that you can parallel the data lines for multiple strips if needed,, I saw where someone did just that for a fancy patio umbrella, looked quite neat.. they did a fire works effect. and a few others that were cool..
I'll post pictures soon..
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Well, I finally finished my Clock and it's great..
Had a few bugs to contend with, but minor issues..
I'll never have to set the clock ever again ..
The clock has a RTC as well as a GPS Module.
If the GPS can't get a signal, there is an additional led that will be on to indicate signal loss..
The clock only needs the time stamps from the GPS, not a lock on it.
I also have a time schedule in it to dim the display at night..
I'll post pictures of it later on.