loud tv commercials

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
moe

loud tv commercials

Post by moe »

Is there a way to automatically lower the volume on TV commercials ? Years ago I had a box that would block the peak audio.
Thank for any info
dacflyer

Re: loud tv commercials

Post by dacflyer »

I wish there was something to mute commercials all together. These political ad's are making me bonkers !
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

You need to be able to put a shelf filter in the line for amplification. There was something on here a number of years ago that would do that. Who knows if its still here.

Now, I hate those political ads too, but I do get a bit of satisfaction reporting all the political texts I get as Spam. Hehe
Hey, what do I know?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Sorry to rain on your parade, but progress probably prevents doing it. No more volume potentiometers, the circuit you need to tap into is inside a big chip, even the audio line(s) to the power amp chip could be a trace inside a multi-layer board.

If you find something that works on modern TVs, let us know. In this case I won't mind being proven wrong.

Cheers,
Dale Y
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

High level signal into an external amp, aka speaker level like in car audio or even some subwoofer audio. Yeah, it's a pain to add more stuff onto the end run, but it seems to be the easiest way to gain access for analog solutions like we used to have.

Anyway, years ago it was the blanking between the programming and the commercials that was used to detect the start of the commercial. Not sure what would be used today in such a scenario. Lost interest when things went to single chip solutions.

Of course, you could run things through an AVR that has that feature...
Hey, what do I know?
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

CeaSaR wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:08 pm High level signal into an external amp, aka speaker level like in car audio or even some subwoofer audio. Yeah, it's a pain to add more stuff onto the end run, but it seems to be the easiest way to gain access for analog solutions like we used to have.

Anyway, years ago it was the blanking between the programming and the commercials that was used to detect the start of the commercial. Not sure what would be used today in such a scenario. Lost interest when things went to single chip solutions.

Of course, you could run things through an AVR that has that feature...
Hmmm...........
I remember on some VCR's, that I believe SONY made.
Would detect the 3 second Commercial break signal on shows, or movies.
Thus, it would pause the recording, till it detected the 3 second Commercial break ending signal, and then continue recording.
Well, the advertisers had fits about it.
The feature was quickly changed, so that it would not stop recording when the Commercial breaks came on.
But instead Fast Forwarded through them when playing back the tape.
:lol:

As for a automatic volume suppressor circuit....
Magnavox and Sylvania Televisions started using them in the late 90's.
I'm not certain, but I thought I remember seeing some LCD Flat Screen Televisions that had this feature.
Well, there's always the MUTE button on the remote. :P

Problem is........
Not all stations use the same 3 second Commercial break signal, or even use one at all. :/
Thus, having a circuit that detects the 3 second signal, to activate the volume suppressor circuit.
May not work reliably, or at all. :(

Signed: Janitor Tzap

EDIT:
Here is an article about leveling the audio in commercials.
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... ls-come-on