How to identify a potentiometer?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Markkim

How to identify a potentiometer?

Post by Markkim »

I'm looking for the specifications of an unlabeled potentiometer. I'm looking for a pot that fits the specifications of the one I have. I'd like to add a second pot to the circuit so that I may control it from two different locations. I've recognized the wires and voltages, but I'm not sure how to test the pot's resistance. RED wiring diagram 5 volt power source, BROWN ground, and WHITE signal
dyarker

Re: How to identify a potentiometer?

Post by dyarker »

With the pot out of the circuit. measure end terminal to end terminal with an ohm meter. A digital multi-meter will auto-range. On an analog pointer meter, you will need to set the range switch so pointer in not at zero or infinity.

You will probably need a toggle switch on WHITE so both pot wipers are not connected at the same time.

Cheers,

added - No numbers at all? Maybe molded in, instead of inked on? For example, "501" as part of a part number could stand for 500 Ohms (50 and 1 more zero).
Dale Y
CeaSaR

Re: How to identify a potentiometer?

Post by CeaSaR »

^^Also, check to see if you have linear or logarithmic (audio) taper by marking off the 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 rotation points (travel is usually 270 degrees in single turn pots), and then measure between your "0" lug and the center lug. If you get approximately the correct percentage, then it is linear. If it is pretty far off, then it will be log/audio. Refer back to your initial link to verify if it is normal or inverse log.
Hey, what do I know?