Is Nuts and Volts dead ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Re: Is Nuts and Volts dead ?

Post by dacflyer »

Sadly it's slowly dying off on here too..not many active posters left on here..
At least most of the spam has come to a halt...
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Not really, just removed before you see it!
Dale Y
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

dyarker wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:24 am
Not really, just removed before you see it!
Today especially. There's been way more than has been reported. Ooof!
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

In That Case....Keep Up the good work !
Much appreciated...
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Thanks. what we really need is new participation, and not in the way the spammers have been trying. I keep trying to bring others here, but it seems fruitless. Most people these days have such short attention spans that actually learning from us is just a bother. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

I wish they would combine Q&A and the 1 other section from the magazine into the forum here.. Things might pick up some.
I remember i'd have to jump thru hoops just to reply to a Q&A question from the magazine. It wasn't easy to do.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Yup, I well remember when a decent request letter to someone like Emerson, or Philco would result in you getting a short note and a factory drawing long before Sams showed up. And now many people are quite content to pay for what once was free. Water, samples of all sorts, self-serve checkouts, radio and TV broadcasting and good advice were all free years ago. I guess next churches will put ATM's in the back, since nobody would ever steal them from God's House! :???:
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

. . . and good advice were all free years ago.
Advice is worth what you paid for it.
Free = worthless.
From love, friendship or someone with a reputation (on subject) to protect = priceless.
Paid with cash greater than worthless, less than priceless.

Cheers,
Dale Y
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Lenp >> More like pass the CC machine around instead of the plate...lol
Msondg44

Post by Msondg44 »

Will there ever be another N&V issue? My last issue (I'm a digital subscriber) was 2022 issue 2. According to my subscription status, I have 6 issues remaining on my subscription, and at the rate the issues are coming out, I'll be too old to read them (I'm 79 now).

I've thought about cancelling my subscription, but in the interest of those who have a few more years left than I, I don't want to put the owner in any more financial stress than he obviously has been experiencing. But, in fairness, I thing I have a right to complain about the serious delays in the publication of new issues.

To the editor: when can we expect to see any new issues?

David M
DrMallard

Post by DrMallard »

Hang in there, sean and lem! You have been wise to address complaints with facts.

You and your publications are needed more now than ever... by future techs and engineers. I talk to the industrial plant trainers andsupervisors. They tell me how eager but ignorant most new tech applicants regarding basic hands on technician skills. Very few are familiar with pressure, temperature, control loops, ... Much less how to fix dangerous problems like leaks. Remenber the dutch boy leaking dam story?

I just read you notes about the vast publishing industry changes. Im also a print mag editor and ever since covid, am still trying to come up to speed with the whole virtual game.

Im not into future speculation, but i truly believe that the cycle is already starting to come around. Keep an eye on trends of industrial accidents, osha, etc. One hacker can cancel any savings the bean counters expected by replacing trained staff with button pushers.

Too much long winded!
DrMallard

Post by DrMallard »

PS. Im not a Dr and dont even play one on tv. Lol
DrMallard

Post by DrMallard »

Sorry... Ludite here again. How do i view postings with most recent at the top? Im seeing the list with oldest first.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Welcome to one of the net's ancients. This board is based on the old style of: topics with new posts at the top of the index pages, and within those topics the oldest posts are first with the newest last. There is no normal sort order area, but there are some things you can do to get there.

1, The old fashioned way: look at the boards to see the different colored icons. They are the new posts. Click the discussion area, click the topic, scroll to the bottom or if there are multiple pages, click the last page and scroll to the bottom.
2. Under quick links, click new posts. If any are available, you can go there quickly.
3. Anywhere you see last post listed with a date and time, click that date and time to go to the last post. You can then scroll up from there.

Also, when there is a new unread post, at the top of the 1st page it will have a link that says Go to last comment. It'll do just that.

Not intuitive, but it works.
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

At the bottom of this page and all other post, To the right of the REPLY button is a down arrow with some lines.
click that and it gives you the options on how to view the page.. newest to oldest or oldest to newest.. easy.