BLDC experiment

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
wb9hco

BLDC experiment

Post by wb9hco »

I purchased a BLDC driver board, rated at 36V and 20A.
The idea was to try to power up a small automotive alternator as a BLDC motor.
I forgot about the hall sensor.

I ordered some sensors and don’t see any problem mounting one, even if its outboard on the shaft to start with. The question is is the angular location critical or is the hall sensor just used to verify the speed and prove rotation.

The whole idea is mount this on a mountain bike equipped with a small side car. It's designed to cruise flea markets and swap meets. At present it's in V.9, a bicycle with a 24V geared motor. Fist casualty was my butt. I can't sit on skinny little bicycle seats any more... going to find a bigger seat to match the profile of the occupant of the seat :>)

thanks

paul
My Grandfather was a blacksmith,
...and It didn't do me one damn bit of good.
Pieces of seven, pieces of seven - A parroty error.<p>The information in this transmission is intended to be totally worthless and devoid of any benefit to anyone with the exception of, possibly, the intended recipient. If you received this communication in error or if you accidentally read it when it wasn't addressed to you, then please immediately delete all of your saved game files and email addresses and then energetically beat yourself about the head and shoulders with a recent technology publication of your choice. All other more intelligent actions taken in response to this information are prohibited, so there.
"To err is human...to really mess things up requires the root password."
sghioto

Re: BLDC experiment

Post by sghioto »

The question is is the angular location critical or is the hall sensor just used to verify the speed and prove rotation.
Usually you need three sensors mounted 120 degrees apart. They detect rotation and are used for speed control.

Steve G
wb9hco

Post by wb9hco »

Thanks Steve

Upon closer examination of the pin out of the board, I identified Ha, Hb and Hc. Those would be the three inputs for the hall sensors.
I'll locate the sensors externally for now or build them into the drive pulley.

I should be able to pull about 1 horsepower out of the alternator.
My Grandfather was a blacksmith,
...and It didn't do me one damn bit of good.
Pieces of seven, pieces of seven - A parroty error.<p>The information in this transmission is intended to be totally worthless and devoid of any benefit to anyone with the exception of, possibly, the intended recipient. If you received this communication in error or if you accidentally read it when it wasn't addressed to you, then please immediately delete all of your saved game files and email addresses and then energetically beat yourself about the head and shoulders with a recent technology publication of your choice. All other more intelligent actions taken in response to this information are prohibited, so there.
"To err is human...to really mess things up requires the root password."
Externet

Post by Externet »

wb9hco wrote:...I purchased a BLDC driver board, rated at 36V and 20A...
wb9hco wrote:...I should be able to pull about 1 horsepower out of the alternator.
Underdimensioned. Overstressed. 1 horsepower will take 31 Amperes at 24 Volts. Your board will crap out at that current to yield 1HP.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Externet

Post by Externet »

Duplicate. Delete.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Arithmetics...
Low forum traffic + frustrating posting* = death sentence for a forum.

*Still getting limbo after submitting a post. By insisting, a duplicate shows up. (As this was and ended edited)
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

One picture=1,000 Words.....

Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

you oughtta get one of these, light weight and power out the A**
only uses a regular DC motor controller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manta-II-10-hp ... 4d2282d625

seen on Ebay
seen on Ebay