RS-485 Phone Dialer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cdenk

RS-485 Phone Dialer

Post by cdenk »

Looking for a phone dialer that will on command from a PLC on RS-485 dial the phone line, send a select message (maybe 6 or more), and voice it, and then depending on DTMF tone coming back, stop, or dial another number, etc. application is a home control system that includes a standby generator, object being to go down a list, notify someone of emergency situation, and if message is accepted by receipient, otherwise try another number. Message will indicate exact problem, ideally the message is fabricated from text and syntesized (sp). I can build some limited hardware like piecing together a PIC and othe components.
Engineer1138

Re: RS-485 Phone Dialer

Post by Engineer1138 »

Your best bet is probably a standard PC. All the functions you need are already available with onboard hardware and you can get it working much quicker than a PIC solution.
philba

Post by philba »

engineer is on the right track though I'd not use plain-jane PC gear. I'd use a microatx or similar small form factor motherboard in a pretty industrial stength chassis (rack mount?). Personally, I'd opt for doing this with linux as it's going to be more reliable. You might also look into using a flash based system so no hard disk failures to worry about.<p>Its doable with a PIC but you'll have to write a lot of code. You might be able to actually put a linux system together with out writing any code.
Will

Post by Will »

I don't know how to do this (I would very much like to) but it is possible to get a cell hpone to accomplish what you need. I believe that it can be done by connecting an electronic input into the cell phone mic connection. The beauty of it is that you don't require a modem. I have been trying for some time to get this info from my cell phone manufacturer but they don't seem to be in a hurry to come up with the info. If anyone else knows how do do this I would appreciate hearing about it
BB
rstofer

Post by rstofer »

This one http://homesecuritystore.com/detail_pages/ad2001.htm meets almost none of your criteria. However, it is a 2 input device that can call 4 different numbers and leaves either a numeric or voice message.<p>I bought it for use on my boat. It could dial my home phone (voice), cell phone (voice) and pager (numeric).<p>But it doesn't meet the criteria...