Plastic Bot of Destruction

msimpson

Plastic Bot of Destruction

Post by msimpson »

If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the "Plastic Bot of Destruction" series, post them here:
msimpson

Re: Plastic Bot of Destruction

Post by msimpson »

STL File status:

In part 2 I did a redesign of the PBOD. This is so I could Laser or machine the parts as well as 3D print them.

These new parts will go up on my web site once they are tested. Currently I am waiting for some filament from MakerGear. They should be posted by the time part 2 is published.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I have started posting the STL files for the new design of the PBOD. You can get them here:
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/pbod/

It's a work in progress and all files should be posted by the time the third article is published.
Eaglezsoar

Post by Eaglezsoar »

If it's possible could you give us the motor model you intend to use for the wheels of the PBOD?
I might run into a deal on them. :smile:
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I changed the design in the third article. The new motors are listed there. In addition I have started posting the new STL parts here:
Eaglezsoar

Post by Eaglezsoar »

msimpson wrote:I changed the design in the third article. The new motors are listed there. In addition I have started posting the new STL parts here:
Thanks for posting the parts, I have started to print them.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

All the stl files are now posted. Please note that the instructions for the covers are covered in the final article in the series.

Get them here:
Eaglezsoar

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Mr. Simpson:
The ROB-12008 motor is no longer being sold by Sparkfun.
I think they discontinued it just before your article went to print.
My question is what other motor with similar torque would
work and be available? Any recommendation would be appreciated.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I just found this out my self. Concidering I changed the desingn for these folks its a real kick in the rear. Unfortunately, I do not know of a motor with the size and torque for a replacement. The design is such that if another motor is found, that does not have the same bolt holes, one could just replace the small rectangle motor mount.

The downside is that if the motor is any larger in length, even my 1mm it will not fit as described in the article. You can however mount them in opposite corners. This does reduce the payload area however. I will post the links to the original motors I was using off Amazon on my web site. They however, will need to be mounted in opposite corners of the craft.
Eaglezsoar

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thank you!
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I just posted the Amazon motors on my PBOD page here:
Eaglezsoar

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Mr. Simpson:
I would like to purchase the 18 tires and whatever else (body pieces, gears) that you may offer as lasercut.
I have purchased the motors, the radio receiver and transmitter, batteries, etc. Thank you sir.
churd

Post by churd »

Very cool project! As a high school Tech Teacher, I have many students interested in this project. My students and I would like to build the flat "2D" parts on the laser cutter, as they will take less than a minute each to be cut, and much stronger than if 3D printed. Yes we know heavier, but we are just doing this for fun.

Here's our problem:
We use Autodesk Inventor as our 3D modelling software, and coreldraw for the laser. We cannot get your STL files to convert to be built on the laser. Kids have spent a week trying to figure it out. Our laser requires a dxf, ai, idw or dwg file.

Is there any way you can give us the model files, or the dimensioned drawing files for the parts? If so, my students can reverse engineer the parts in Inventor and send them back to you to post!

Thanks for the great idea and your timely response.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I will be getting the tires and various other parts up on my store. As I get the various parts posted I will put the links up on my website an post a link here.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

This was meant to be a 3D printer project, I will be offering 2D components for sale on my web site as long as there is a demand for them. Currently I don't plan on releasing the 2D plans for the parts.