Kronos Flyer Series

mlgpilot

Re: Kronos Flyer Series

Post by mlgpilot »

I am the point of ordering my flight controller and have a question. I notice that there are two NAZA type controllers and was wondering what was the difference? There is a NAZA-M and a NAZA-M-LITE. The "LITE" version appears to be the same but it is half the price of the "M" version. What is the difference and would a first time flyer notice that difference? If all goes well I do plan to add GPS and a camera.
Thank you for your help and the great series of articles on this project.
Regards,

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Their are actually three types of Naza controllers.

Naza-M
These are the original Naza controllers. They are great controllers but will probably be phased out over time. The firmware can be updated and with a new VMU is compatible with the Naza-M V2.

Nasa-M V2
This is the new Naza-M and is more stable and has more features than the original Naza-M. On thing it has is the ability to add a OSD unit for sending GPS telemetry back to the operator.

Naza-M Lite
This controller has pretty much the same features as the original Naza-M. Its a great controller and I have a couple of these in some of my craft. They came out with this to compete with the cheaper controllers like the APM.

My recommendation is:
IF you are not going to build a fully automated drone and are going to stick with a radio controlled copter then the Naza-M Lite is the way to go. Its stable and the cheapest. You can the full GPS kit for $169. You can also get just the controller for $69. That is unbelievable. DJI has changed the game once again. There is no reason at all to purchase any other controller if you want basic and stable flight control. You can add the GPS module to this controller later to add some of the basic GPS features. Please note that the Naza-M Light cant be upgraded to a V2.

If you want to eventually upgrade to a fully automated drone, I recommend purchasing the Naza-M V2.
mrlich

Post by mrlich »

Mike, I am using a Naza M V2 W/GPS. I have calibrated all. The main problem is I am a newbie and as far as flying, I know nothing. Any help or tips is greatly appreciated.

THANKS, MRLICH
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

First off I would recommend starting without the GPS. The NAZA calibrated to your radio should be able to hover and fly very easy. Once you can hover then the rest is easy. Just avoid turning your craft as the orientation will change and the controls will be reversed if it is pointing toward you. Later once you can hover you can add your GPS and turn on a mode that lets your controls stay oriented no matter how your craft is facing.

Bottom line you have to be able to hover before you can move on.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Please note that I have created a new page for the Kronos Flyer. You can find it here:
http://www.krcnc.com/kronos-flyer-home
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

I notice that Turnigy has released a new transmitter system, the 9XR. I have not purchased my transmitter system yet and was wondering if the new unit would be a better purchase? The price is a little more than the 9X but if the 9XR is a upgraded version of the 9X then I assume that would be the one to get for my quad??
Thank you for any help.

Mike
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

I don't have any information on the 9XR as I don't own one. I provided settings for the 9X. Just know that any changes in the firmware will mean you need to figure out your own settings.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Question for Mr. Simpson: In the Feb 2013 issue of Servo you mention that you have the 6 NAZA configuration pages on your website. I have looked at your new website and cannot find the NAZA discussion? Any help as to where I might find the set-up info? I have the NAZA set-up manual and am ready to run the software assistant program but did not want to do so until I had your recommend values for each page.

Thanks,

Mikeg
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Sorry, they are in the process of being transferred to my krcnc.com site. I will post once they have been moved.
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

They are now up here:
http://www.krcnc.com/naza-setup/

Please note they are not compatible with the newest version and software used on the NAZA. They closely match the NAZA light software.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

To Mr. Simpson: Thank you for the quick response and reaction.

Mikeg
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Mr. Simpson,

I realize that I am a bit late to the party regarding getting my Kronos flyer going so I hope you can put that hat back on and help me out.

I am running the Naza M lite and the Turnigy 9x V2 systems. I was able to get through the DJI Naza assistant sw and program the various pages but I seem to be having a problem with the throttle function. On the Tx test page I can see all the sliders move as indicated by each stick including the throttle but when i unplug from my computer and then move the control sticks to start the motors, they start at a fairly high rate and only slightly increase their spin rate as I move the stick to full throttle position. I have set the idle speed to "lowest". Also when I move the throttle stick and watch the Tx page the "ch U" slider moves in direct relation turning each of the "att" type boxes blue? This last bit does not seem correct.

I have tested each ESC/motor with my servo tester and each motor system spins the correct direction and can spin slow as well as very fast. I have also tested each Rx output for A, E, R, T with a stand-alone servo and each channel works and moves the servo as the appropriate stick is moved.

I believe the problem may be with the Transmitter but not sure what to do. I have followed your web site regarding setting up the transmitter. I cannot find the Pitch curve (ID1) or (ID2) pages on the transmitter, only pitch curve (nor).

Could you define what "pitch curve" is and how it is used??

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

MikeG
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

The pitch curve I mention when setting up the Turnigy 9X transmitter has nothing to do with the throttle control. It is used only to cheat our way into controlling the mode selector switch.

If the prop idle speed is so high that it wants to lift your craft into the air it can be one of the following issues:

1. You don't have the throttle idle speed set to low as per my NAZA setup instructions. While the instructions I provide are for the original NAZA, I believe they will still work on the Naza lite. Only the NAZA V2 has changes substantially but all the settings are still there somewhere.

2. You have not calibrated the ESCs.

3. You are not using the ESCs and motors, and props I recommend for the project. Any deviation could mean disaster.

FYI the idle is meant to turn the props pretty fast, but it should not lift off.
mlgpilot

Post by mlgpilot »

Mr. Simpson,

Thank you for your help and response. I confirmed that the ESC were properly programed and that I am using the motors as spec'ed in your BOM. I have confirmed that the problem is with the Turnigy 9x transmitter. The first problem is that there does not appear to be an up to date user's manual available. I have downloaded 3 different manuals and I believe between them I was able to solve the problem. It was not easy and as you mentioned on your web page, "it is a bear".

The bottom line is that I have flown my Kronos quadcopter about a dozen times and it is one piece so far. I have not installed the GPS as I want to learn the basics before I try out the GPS. I am sure I will be back with hat in hand looking for help when I start down the GPS road.

Thank you again for your help.

Regards,

Mike G
msimpson

Post by msimpson »

Thanks for getting back with us. I hope this helps others with their build. Honestly I have a drone book about half done and most likely wont be including the Turnigy as they keep changing the firmware.