A/C compressor (auto)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Re: A/C compressor (auto)

Post by frhrwa »

great questions.. for the electric fan, just trying to get a little more ummph out of a 2.5L 4cylinder ... its in a small YJ Jeep, so it doesn't weigh a lot, just going against the wind up hill and your doing 35 if your lucky.. as to climbing a hill offroading, the 4 cylinder has plenty of ummph for that, and torque is just about or more than the 4.0L 6 cylinder.. gas mileage is already at 24 mpg in town.. just that little extra power so you don't get run over on the hiway trying to get up a little bitty grade..

the a/c question was an after/before thought, I don't have it presently, I do have the compressor, and just thought if I put the second battery in, I've already got the 160@ alternator, so.. thought it might be easier on the 4 cylinder.. but have lived with out it this long, really not a necessity even here in Las Vegas, because I go north for the summers.. the power gain from the electric fan would be nice if reality?.. wayne
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

YJ Jeep, Huh.......

Well putting air conditioning into this may not be a good idea.
If this is the soft rag top version.
Then definitely not a good idea. :lol:

Here's a relatively cheap motor modifcation.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-YJ- ... 0531856421
But there are electric fan modification kits out there for the Jeeps.
Here's a Jeep enthusiats site.
http://www.ajeepthing.com/engine-bolt-ons.html

Well,
I hope that will help you.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

actually, I have the hardtop on it at present, it has a soft top, and a bimini.. so, some a/c is 2-60 a/c.. 2 windows down at 60mph..
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

just found out my friend has a mazda 3 the power steering is electric motor controlled, is nothing controlled off the pulleys anymore ?
next thing you know the alternator will be run off of the wheels :P
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

not a bad idea.. wheel driven.. ha.. saw a car the other day that has a wind generator that flip up and locks in place above the rear of the car.. going down the road and it spins generating a bunch of power for the batteries.. oh, by the way, its an electric motor car..
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

frhrwa wrote:not a bad idea.. wheel driven.. ha.. saw a car the other day that has a wind generator that flip up and locks in place above the rear of the car.. going down the road and it spins generating a bunch of power for the batteries.. oh, by the way, its an electric motor car..
Sounds like another First Law of Thermodynamics loser :roll:
Dale Y
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

frhrwa wrote:not a bad idea.. wheel driven.. ha.. saw a car the other day that has a wind generator that flip up and locks in place above the rear of the car.. going down the road and it spins generating a bunch of power for the batteries.. oh, by the way, its an electric motor car..
Well, many of the electric vehicles have regenerative braking systems to recapture some electricity.

Also, the wind turbine on the vehicle too supplement power to the batteries isn't a bad idea either.
Though I would think placing them behind the front grill.
Would be a better idea, in that your still driving the wind turbine, or turbines.
Yet, you are not changing the aerodynamics of the car.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Sounds like another First Law of Thermodynamics loser
Agreed, you're not going to get something for nothing. Regardless of where you put it, it will create drag greater than the energy it produces. I suppose if you were parked in a headwind, you could run the radio not too loud or passively trickle charge the pattery. Wind power is a very poorly regulated source anyway, its only good for battrery charging.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

mileage isn't a problem, gets over 24 mpg in town, and I don't care if it drops.. just when I have a head wind and can't get over 40mph against it, or going up hill with wind, 30 if lucky.. off road doesn't matter, it has plenty of low end torque and wind doesn't affect me at that low speed.. throttle body spacer would increase low end torque if I needed it, .. so.. yep, just that added few hp to go against the wind to get there.. like superman says... " you don't piss against the wind and you sure don't mess with superman".. ha..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

frhrwa wrote:... like superman says... " you don't piss against the wind and you sure don't mess with superman".. ha..
That's Jim Croce, "You Don't Mess Around With Jim". Still miss his music.

Wow, sounds like you need more than just a reduction in parasitic drag. You might need
a rebuild or other mods. Does the engine use a computer? Can you put a chip on it? Intake?
Exhaust? The poor thing sounds like it is starving for air at higher revs. Perhaps some deep
breathing exercises would benefit it.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

frhrwa,

Reread the problem.
QUESTION: Did you originally learn to drive in an automatic transmission car, and the YJ you have now has a standard transmission?
That really is a question. Trying to be real careful here because we (men) can be real touchy about our driving skills. (But if noone ever showed you there is no shame in not knowing.)

If the answer is "yes", then -
Down shift at point where full throttle will not maintain speed; use throttle to keep RPM 500 to 1000 below red line or posted speed limit, which ever is less. Going to, or near, red line momentarily while accelerating, then up shifting is okay. But you don't want to keep RPM too close to redline for duration of a long hill. You have to listen to, and "feel", your engine to learn how many RPMs it is comfortable with for long periods.

Again, no insult intended. Have see this before though.

Cheers,
Dale Y
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I'm 65.. I learned how to drive "on the post".. most drivers these days don't even know how, much less what a post shift is.. I'm a manual shift person, automatics, well.. are automatics..
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

what is "on the post" shifting ? , is that a colum shift? AKA- 3 on the tree :P
I 1st learned to drive a old farm dump truck..manual with a axel shift. later i had a old 69 F-100 with a colum shift, i liked it, because it confused the heck out of my friends, they thought i was going nuts with a automatic tranny shifter...lolok,
i am done sharing, this topic is starting to go off topic..
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

A bit off topic it has become and I'll take a swipe at the original topic which I think had to do with putting A/C into a car without it.

I might suggest you try a D/C system (Driver Conditioning :grin: ) Joking aside, I think you can make a liquid recirculating chiller and a water jacket you can wear to cool the driver rather than the whole car. The water jacket can be just a bunch or flexible tubing sewn into a vest or other garment. The chiller could be as simple as an ice chest, a cold plate and a water pump. A better chiller might include a peltier cooler. This is an attainable project IMO. A variation would be a seat cooler with the cooling loop in a seat cover.

Those gas sipping "Hypermilers" use ice vests to keep cool so they don't have to use A/C or open a window in an effort to squeeze every last MPG from a vehicle

PS, I'm a couple decades short of 65 and I learned to drive a 3 on the wheel too. It was a P.O.S. Ford cargo van 80 or 81. The linkage was constantly falling off occasionally stranding me in the middle of an intersection or at the light (at night) with nothing but neutral. Despite it's very numerous defects (it was used as an appliance delivery van and my boss let me take it home) I loved that pile of junk.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

on the post.. steering post.. yep column shift.. nothing like a good 'ol column shift.. my 62 ford fairlane 500 sport had a 3 speed on the column.. later changed to a 4 speed on the floor..