FM transmission for 'around the house'

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Paragon

FM transmission for 'around the house'

Post by Paragon »

I'd like to set up an FM transmitter off my PC to stream audio anywhere around my 1/2 acre site including all reaches of my modest home. <p>There's a variety of devices out there from very limited 'play your CD's through your stereo' to 4 watt PPL AGC transmitters with stereo add on features.<p>I'd like to know what's the most successful and reasonably priced options available.<p>Thanks in advance ...<p>BJ Paragon
rshayes

Re: FM transmission for 'around the house'

Post by rshayes »

Try a google search on "wireless microphone kits". The price range seem to run from about $15 for a simple PCB to areund $500 for professional units.
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

I've got a wireless micrphone and a 'CD through you're stereo' device but BOTH are ultra short range and no provisions for an external antenna. I know there are kits and ready made units out there that range in prices you say and MORE.<p>What I'm interested in is what experiences people have had with these kinds of setups.
ezpcb

Post by ezpcb »

It's very easy to make the distance longer by apply a RF-power amplifier. a C-class apmlifier with C1970 can extend the range to 1 km easily.
http://www.EzPCB.com
High Quality PCB for Electronics Hobbists, Pay for Chrokee, Get Land Rover
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Crane makes a nice FM transmitter that can be tweaked with a screwdriver to increase power and is suitable for whole house transmission. They do advise that making such an adjustment may (or does) violate FCC limits for personal FM transmissions.<p>http://www.ccrane.com/fm-transmitter.aspx<p>These guys also make some nice, powerful transmitters:<p>http://www.veronica.co.uk/fmtransmitter.htm<p>Also check out Ramsey kits. They have what a lot of health clubs use for transmitting TV sound to people on treadmills wearing FM headsets.
"Who is John Galt?"
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

Dr_When<p>Can you be more specific on what kind of 'tweaking' can be done to the cccrane fm transmitter? Is it an obvious adjustment on the PCB? Can a better antenna be used?
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

The CCrane transmitter has a label on the back that when removed reveals an access hole to a pot. Turning this pot all the way clockwise ups the power to a point more than adequate for transmitting through an entire household (and maybe a neighbors). I believe you could also do some things with the antenna but I found that to be unnecessary after boosting the power. The plus side is that you can easily choose a frequency in your area that will not affect anyone nearby.<p>[ May 20, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]<p>[ May 20, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]</p>
"Who is John Galt?"
Mike

Post by Mike »

The FM transmitter will work, but it would be a pain to build and set up. Plus you lose a ton of sound quality.<p>What I would suggest, and it may even be cheaper, is to set up a wireless network (cheapest way would be to get a router which can be found for under $10, sometimes free, on sale), and use an ethernet cable to connect it to your PC. Then, get a Linksys digital audio reciever. The device connects over WiFi and digitally streams MP3 and WMA files. It has built in speakers or can be played through your stereo.<p>So you know, I have never used one, but they look like they would be perfect for you. Plus the prices don't seem too bad.<p>This router looks pretty good, and is only 15 bucks:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... 6&pfp=hpf3<p>and here is the Linksys media player:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... &pfp=srch1
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Mike,<p>Just want to add a few points. A wireless router is probably not going to be $10-$15.<p>What are you going to have as an endpoint? A PC with a soundcard and speakers? By the way, the wireless network receiver is not cheap either. Unless high-end, the sound quality is going to be no better than a stereo FM radio. So far you have spent more than the $69 for a decent digital FM transmitter. And gee, FM radio quality is fine for everyone except the true purists. The FM transmitter (with digital freq setting so there is no drift) I have in my house (connected to satelite receiver), tranmits clean FM through the whole house. Oh, and it's not a kit either.<p>Each room has an inexpensive FM radio and better quality receivers in the living room and outside. What little loss of quality I may end up with far outweighs the cost of a wireless network.<p>You are right... You should try something yourself before touting it as the best way to go, IMHO. Dollar for dollar Mike, you are going to spend a LOT more for slightly better sound quality.<p>[ May 21, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]</p>
"Who is John Galt?"
Mike

Post by Mike »

The device has it's own speakers or you can connect it to a stereo.<p>And this router is 15 bucks. The one I have was only $7 for a Motorola 54g router, so yes, you find them on sale for this price all the time:<p>http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... 6&pfp=hpf3<p>All of this was in my last post. Please read more than the first line before flipping out at it.<p>Paragon,
I wish they would sell the old Lynksys media player still. It was on sale for $50 all the time and would connect to your network wirelessly, and play through a stereo. If only they still sold it that would work great and be cheaper than the new one.
Mike

Post by Mike »

This one is less money and plays through your stereo only using your TV to choose what to play. It all depends on where youy want to put it and how you want it controlled.<p>http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... &pfp=srch1<p>Also, I was just thinking. They make those A/V wireless transmitters which would be perfect for what you want and they aren't that badly priced. All you do is connect the sender to the computer and the reciever to a stereo.<p>http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... id=15-2572<p>And it looks like you can add these to send the sound to more rooms:<p>http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... id=15-2573
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Mike,<p>OH BOY! You did not mention that the router in question is $15 AFTER you send for the $55 rebate (and wait 2 months for it). You still pay $69 up front. <p>Your idea, though cutting edge (snicker), is still much more expensive... and for what? You have to boot up a PC everytime you want sound through the house???? The FM xmitter does not have to boot (or run Windoze or Linux!)<p>Oh, and how much for the digital audio receiver???<p>[ May 21, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]</p>
"Who is John Galt?"
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Mike,<p>I have also used the A/V wireless transmitters which are also not cheap. They are OK if you don't mind them spazzing out if you turn on a microwave oven. Also not a cheap alternative and you still have to connect them to something!!<p>Tell us Mike... what have you actually tried that sends sound through the entire house cheaply?? What's that again???<p>FM xmitters Baby!!! The way to go!<p>[ May 21, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]<p>[ May 21, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]</p>
"Who is John Galt?"
jwax

Post by jwax »

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bi ... &key=FM10C
Park the TX antenna above ground, and you're on the air to any FM receiver nearby for $45. Can't get the signal out in the back 40? Add another TX to a "repeater" cheap FM receiver, and extend your range thataway.
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dr_when:

Your idea, though cutting edge (snicker), is still much more expensive... and for what? You have to boot up a PC everytime you want sound through the house???? The FM xmitter does not have to boot (or run Windoze or Linux!)
[ May 21, 2005: Message edited by: dr_when ]
<hr></blockquote><p>You usually have to boot up a comptuter either way if you want to play MP3s on it...<p>edit:<p>also, what do I use? I use computers I have sitting around my house or sometimes my PDA hooked up to a set of speakers.<p>But usually I have my computer by my stereo so I just run a coax connection between them and get excellent sound.<p>Either way I don't do much music streaming. I just use my PC speakers and they make the sound loud enough to hear almost anywhere in my house, or I turn on the radio.<p>[ May 21, 2005: Message edited by: Mike ]</p>