Video Card

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Video Card

Post by jwax »

Any suggestions for a cheap PC video card that will let me record NTSC video/audio on my hard drive?
John
WA2RBA
ad5mb

Re: Video Card

Post by ad5mb »

$20 OK?<p>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... u=A46-4028<p>Google PCI VIDEO CAPTURE
Mike

Post by Mike »

thats just a firewire card, for capturing digital from a camcorder.<p>You need something like a ATI TV Wonder. I've seen them on sale for $19.99. They don't accpet composite (i don't think), so you'd need to run it through a RF modulator or a VCR.<p>If you could find an ATI Rage 128 pro video card, that has a composite input, and you just hook a cable to the input on your soundcard.<p>Finally, if you could get a 3dfx Voodoo3 3500TV video card, it has both coax and composite inputs, composite outputs. Also it has an FM radio built in.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Thanky! I found an ATI All in Wonder 8Mb AGP Video & TV Tuner Card on ebay for $15! Damn thing sold for $340 new in 1998!
Ahhh, technology!
John
WA2RBA
ad5mb

Post by ad5mb »

ATI TV Wonder accepts S Video, Composite, tuner.<p>I use mine with Gotchanow: <p>http://www.gotchanow.com<p>Works as advertised, but does not detect motion everywhere, just in an oval zone towards the bottom center of the screen
jwax

Post by jwax »

ad5mb- Cool! So I can use my video camera to see a scene, and "Gotcha" detects motion in that scene, & snapping a picture? Isn't that the software equivalent to sticking photodetectors on my monitor, and snapping a picture when the average lighting changes?
Also, have you used the ATI TV Wonder for any high-speed video capture?
Thanks again, anxiously awaiting its arrival!
John :p
WA2RBA