Video card upgrade

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
psycho

Video card upgrade

Post by psycho »

Hi all... I have this computer : http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pav ... 49909.html

I am looking to upgrade the video a bit to get a decent frame rate on FlightGear (http://flightgear.org).

Now, I don't play games at all. My computer is used for development. So, I have never had a need to upgrade to a better gfx system. Looking on buy.com (and elsewhere), it would seem my options are endless. With my computer, what (nVidia based) card should I get? I am looking for something that will give a good frame rate but is cheap (< $50 if possible). There are bus speed factors, PSU current specs and all that other crap. Normally I wouldn't care about gfx acceleration. Any gfx gurus/gamers on the board that know about all this?

I upped the ram to 3GB (for Xilinx ISE) so it will run it. Up until the point that there are alot of close objects (trees/clouds, etc). Then it gets choppy :sad:

And to think, I *thought* I knew all about computers :eek:

Kevin
psycho

Re: Video card upgrade

Post by psycho »

Btw, this is what the Filghtgear requirements video section of the manual has to say on the subject
You may be able to run FlightGear on a computer that features a 3D video card not supporting hardware accelerated OpenGL – and even on systems without 3D graphics hardware at all. However, the absence of hardware accelerated OpenGL support can bring even the fastest machine to its knees. The typical signal for missing hardware acceleration are frame rates below 1 frame per second.

Any modern 3D graphics featuring OpenGL support will do. For Windows video card drivers that support OpenGL, visit the home page of your video card manufacturer. You should note that sometimes OpenGL drivers are provided by the manufacturers of the graphics chip instead of by the makers of the board. If you are going to buy a graphics card for running FlightGear, one based on a AMD/ATI Radeon or NVIDIA GeForce with an absolute minimum of 64 MByte, better 128 Mbyte might be a good choice.
--edit
Note that I don't know how old that manual is as far as the video card's memory requirements...
--
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Reading the link I see this:
Expansion Slots Total (Free) 4.0 ( 2.0 ) x Processor - DIMM 184-pin , 1.0 ( 2.0 ) x Memory - Socket 939 , 3.0 ( 1.0 ) x PCI , 1.0 ( 0.0 ) x PCI Express x16
So do you have a free PCI-E slot in there for a graphics card? I don't get it? Next you have integrated graphics at the present correct? Meaning your graphics are built into the motherboard.

What you get as to a graphics card depends on if that PCI-E slot is available.
one based on a AMD/ATI Radeon or NVIDIA GeForce with an absolute minimum of 64 MByte, better 128 Mbyte might be a good choice.
Just about anything should be fine based on the above. I doubt you would find a graphics card today with 64 MB of onboard memory or even 128 MB. Typically you will see 256 MB and greater. Keep in mind that whatever the GPU has for memory it is subtracted from your system memory as allocated RAM. I would consider NewEgg for a graphics card or in that price range a local brick & mortar like Best Buy or the like.

Ron
psycho

Post by psycho »

Oh yeah - There is an open PCI slot. But, I am more confused about the bus speed/ram width or, does that not matter as long as the card is a PCI-E???

And the gfx are built on the motherboard. But that's not a problem.

Thanks,
Kevin
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

psycho wrote:Oh yeah - There is an open PCI slot. But, I am more confused about the bus speed/ram width or, does that not matter as long as the card is a PCI-E???

And the gfx are built on the motherboard. But that's not a problem.

Thanks,
Kevin
Hi Kevin

You want a Card Like This within your price range. You have an open PCI-E X16 slot according to HP. The important thing is that when you install a graphics card in a system with on board integrated graphics you need to get into your BIOS and disable the on board graphics. Then install the card and the drivers for the card.

As to memory... Any 32 bit OS (Operating System) can only address 2^32 of RAM or about 4 GB. Now of that 4 GB the memory is allocated to a point. The GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) on board RAM will be addressed by the system reducing some of the available memory.

As to system bus speeds. Without getting into detail the card will clock to the system. Nothing to worry about. The card I linked to will do just fine and though not a very high end card fits your budget and system well.

Ron
psycho

Post by psycho »

Thanks, ron. I am trying to stay away from ATI based cards. From what I have read, they are more geared towards video (DVDs, etc.). Also, alot of people have commented on problems with Flightgear with ATI based cards. I am leaning towards nVidea.

I have never ordered from newegg but they seem to be reputable from all of the reviews I have read.

Thanks,
Kevin
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Yes, NewEgg is reputable. I just looked at cards in your range. I prefer ATI as I have had issues with nVidia drivers but 6 of one and half dozen of the other. :grin:

Really depends on the card and the applications running. You can snag a nVidia card in the same price range. Should work out just fine.

Ron
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Hi Ron, Kevin,

It has been my experience with video cards to try too match them with the mother board chipsets.

Example: Intel chipset on the mother board will fight with the ATI {AMD} chipset on the video card.

I would recommend that you go out to the HP site.
And look at what video cards are listed to work with your particular model.

Other than that...
Check out Tom's Hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Com ... s-Cards,4/

Signed: Janitor Tzap
psycho

Post by psycho »

Thanks for all of the input, I have finally settled on this card. I hope it will meet my needs.

Thanks again,
Kevin