Relay ladder logic program

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cheapNdisgusting

Relay ladder logic program

Post by cheapNdisgusting »

I need a program to take the place of having to "hand draw" an electrical schematic that is 90% relay ladder logic.<p>I've tried "Eagle" and it is more for printed ckts.<p>I've tried Smart cad and a lot of others like it. I want something that has relay contacts, relay coils, pushbuttons, lamps,ect. More on the line of electro/mechanical instead of electronic. <p>Thanks in advance
cNd
philba

Re: Relay ladder logic program

Post by philba »

I doubt you'll find a "ladder logic drawing" program. I'd, instead, look for PLC programming tools. Many have free downloads. try googling for ladder logic programming or similar.
cheapNdisgusting

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and if I find one, I will post it right here. :)
cNd
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Most schematic capture programs allow you to create custom parts. Its usually a pain in the neck, but once the parts are created they can be put in a library and used like any other part. Ladder logic diagrams use only a small number of fairly simple symbols so this shouldn't be too bad.<p>The other alternative is a general purpose drawing program. Again, you create the symbols and put them in a library. The main difference is that the drawing file can't be used for PCB layout.<p>There are several such programs available. I've had fairly good luck with TurboCAD Designer for about $30. There are simpler programs available down to about $10, but they are a little clumsier to use.
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I forget the name of the company now but you should be able to web search "The Constructor" It allows you to design and test ladder logic, I had a free demo version years ago and it wasn't too shabby then. I've heard its only gotten better.
Keep Prying...

Crowbar
cheapNdisgusting

I found a decent one with a free trial.
http://www.tri-plc.com/trilogi3.htm<p>Plenty for me at the moment. Thanks for all the help ;)
cNd
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Look into Easy-PC from Number One Systems.
It's from the UK but represented in the US. It has Schematic, PCB, auto route, tons of libraries with easy symbol creation, multiple layers and really quite polished. I've used it for years, and it keeps getting better!
Len
cheapNdisgusting

Thanks lenp, I'll try it.
cNd