how to block e-mail domains ?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
dacflyer

how to block e-mail domains ?

Post by dacflyer »

i have earthlink, i use web mail. it has lots of nice features..
the one feature i like. but its not perfect is..spam blocker. i can block any internet address, but i cannot block any e-mail domain names..i have the biggest problem with " gmail "
i can only block them individually.
anyone know of a way to block them some otherway ??
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: how to block e-mail domains ?

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I have no experience with earthlink and have no idea why you would block gmail as it's the only email provider I really use, it's free and it has more features then one could list in a a day. But if desired to do so perhaps you could set a filter for @gmail.com and opt to move items matching that filter to the great circular file in the sky. Do you access your mail online? Through Earthlink software? Outlook? Thunderbird?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i access it on the web, outlook express is not working right for a long time now, and the web version is better, i am just tired of getting bombarded by gmail accounts. its ad-bots and spammers etc..
i deal with craigslist a lot, and thats the source of most of the spam, craigslist is good, i do sell a lot of stuff on there, but the spam is insane at times..
and of course CL does nothing about it.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

it's free and it has more features then one could list in a a day.
Evidently, thats what makes it attractive to spammers
and of course CL does nothing about it
Dosen't CL provide anonamous email addresses to posters?
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

a couple of my friends have earthlink, somehow they have a setting that blocks everybody until you give permission for it to pass.. ? maybe that would work for you? then you load all your known emails in and anybody else has to get through the check-me process..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks, was sort of looking for something without having to put everyone on a permission list..
i guess i'll just deal with it, and ignor all gmail addresses.

ya CL does provide annoymous email service, but when you reply, then your addy is shown..not very effective unless you reply thru the same ad as you choose. if you reply to their reply is when your addy is shown
kheston

Post by kheston »

Dac,

I could send you an email with a reply-to of [email protected] from my own mail server, I don't actually need to own the domain to do so. Likely, those emails aren't coming from a gmail email server at all or they are and the accounts have been set up by someone with sinister intent. If you block gmail, you'll find that the next wave of spam comes from HotMail or Yahoo. I wouldn't bother, frankly.

Earthlink may not have good filtering in place or they do and are blocking millions of UCE messages you never see. There are few ways around getting a spam here and there. I have spamassassin and DNS block lists implemented and though they block or mark as junk 1200 to 2100 nefarious email messages per day, I still have to move about 20 from my Inbox to Junk folders daily. I agree, it's a pain.

Might I suggest using Message Rules to move email addresses and subject lines that are obvious to be spam to your Junk folder. Also, you may want to let Earthlink know you are being particularly hard-hit lately and see what they can do, if anything.

Good luck!
Kurt - SF Bay
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks...
well i get so much of the trash from replys i get from craigslist..i sell a lot of stuff there and its all free etc. but it does get to be a pain in the A$$ but i guess thats they trade off for free sales..