ASV Voice Coil?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bob Scott

ASV Voice Coil?

Post by Bob Scott »

Would anyone know what "ASV" stands for? I see a lot of loudspeakers for sale touting ASV voice coils. I don't see any information defining "ASV". Searching in google does no good. It is not in any dictionary I can find. I suspect it is some type of voice coil former material like (better than) Kapton.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
dacflyer

Re: ASV Voice Coil?

Post by dacflyer »

does this help ??? not sure...

http://www.acronymfinder.com/ASV.html

i cannot find much either....
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Bob Scott wrote:Would anyone know what "ASV" stands for? I see a lot of loudspeakers for sale touting ASV voice coils. I don't see any information defining "ASV". Searching in google does no good. It is not in any dictionary I can find. I suspect it is some type of voice coil former material like (better than) Kapton.

That is quite odd, in an attempt to help answer your question I performed extensive searches all of which turned up no new information really. I did find plenty of sites selling speakers with an ASV Voice Coil though, interesting it's seems to be a selling point yet no one explains what it is exactly or why it's beneficial. From what info I can gather (which is minimal) SV is a type of wire used to make voice coils so I assume SV refers to it's chemical composition or manufacturing process. ASV seems to be an extension of ASV referring to the makeup of the core of the voice coil. I've found other coils selling with the abbreviations KSV, BASV, TIL, SV, CCAW, EISV and EICCAW.

Sorry I couldn't give you a real answer.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I think the 'A' probably stands for aluminum. 'V' might represent voice coil. 'S' possibly is for single layer.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

As Setec mentioned. ASV is a common spec on a lot of speakers usually followed by 'hi temperature', but no explanation. I have mostly seen this spec with mid quality speakers, but never with hi end speakers as they always stress copper voice coils. So mytbe Joseph has a handle on that as to being Alunimum.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I've spent some time searching this and have had the same kind of luck as everyone
else. The closest has been:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21564 ... arts_.html

and

http://thejeep.com/onlinecatalog/p18.htm

From what I can see it is the composition of the coil form. Probably means that it is
made from Aluminum, maybe Sulphur or Silicon and whatever V is. Other than that,
we all know just as much.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Thanks all you guys. Charles' last link yields:

"M&S's speakers also use an ASV material, copper wound voice coil (that provides increased power handling) vs. the standard copper wound, paper voice coil that will distort when pushed to it's limits."

So I think it does not stand for "aluminum", rather the former tube material. I've emailed Parts Express tech support. Hopefully they'll get back to me tomorow.

I'm experimenting with a new idea for an old baffle type - the tube, but with a matched acoustic transmission line terminator, so the tube won't resonate in the classical sense of being a fraction of a wavelength. It should work more like a helmholtz resonator, lowering the Fs and raising the Qts to .707 for a flat response, or 1.0 for some bouncing bass rock'n'roll depending on the length of (mass of air in) thetube.

I don't like boomy boxes any more, they are old fashioned and made of wood. They stopped putting wood on all the other hifi stuff years ago.

I have a pair of McBride 8 inchers that I mentioned a few months ago. I removed them from my Wharfedales which I refurbished with original parts. These Wharfedales which I've enjoyed the sound of since I was 17 are actually pretty lousy with a HUGE resonance about 90 Hz. I guess they didn't know about Thiele Small parameters in the olden days of the sixties.

So the McBrides have a low resonance of 30 Hz and a low Qts of 0.33. According to my speaker calculator, they won't sound any good in any box that isn't huge and vented, but they should work well with a long vertical tube.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

The solidness of the box makes a world of difference. I made my final subwoofer cabinet out of poured concrete. Then I packed it with polyester batting from a pillow. It had rolled off lows with a peak at about 90hz, but once I equalized those things out, the sound was the best I have ever heard.

I have heard of the formers of voice coils being the thing referred to in voice coil type. For example, if memory serves me, there are ones referred to as Kapton voice coils. Kapton is a pretty stiff, non-conductive, high temperature material.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Bob,

That's what I took away from it also, as all the photos of the voice coils
showed what looked like aluminum formers. The Kapton VC's show a
copperish/fiberglass-like former.

Any luck with the Parts Express tech?

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Joseph wrote:The solidness of the box makes a world of difference. I made my final subwoofer cabinet out of poured concrete. Then I packed it with polyester batting from a pillow.
Hi Joseph. Yes, concrete would be a superb sound shield. I have an old speaker building book by Philips showing an old speaker installation on each side of a fireplace, with large volumes of air inside the stonework. Those were the days when some hi-fi fans used 30" Electrovoice woofers. In the 60's, Wharfedale built speaker cabinets with sand-filled panels. But here was a lot of snake oil too. eg: Garrard "formosa wood" tonearms- veneer over metal.

I use cotton batting for the sound absorbent material. It's what you stick in your ears to absorb sound and it works! When you squeeze it, it stays squoze. It absorbs energy. The synthetic materials are more springy, store energy.
Joseph wrote: It had rolled off lows with a peak at about 90hz, but once I equalized those things out, the sound was the best I have ever heard.
I've figured that out. You can do a lot with baffles and vents and crossover networks, and I think you can sometimes get the same results with an equaliser.

Does anyone know of a decent speaker building forum?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Bob,

I just did a quick search on MSN and found these links:

DIY Speakers

and

Speaker Workshop

I'm going to check them out later tonight.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Hi Joseph. Yes, concrete would be a superb sound shield. I have an old speaker building book by Philips showing an old speaker installation on each side of a fireplace, with large volumes of air inside the stonework. Those were the days when some hi-fi fans used 30" Electrovoice woofers. In the 60's, Wharfedale built speaker cabinets with sand-filled panels. But here was a lot of snake oil too. eg: Garrard "formosa wood" tonearms- veneer over metal.
Hi Bob, I had a Popular Electronics issue insructing on installing a 30" woofer in a closet door.
I use cotton batting for the sound absorbent material. It's what you stick in your ears to absorb sound and it works! When you squeeze it, it stays squoze. It absorbs energy. The synthetic materials are more springy, store energy.
I see the advantage of the cotton like you say. Yet, cotton tends to collapse and stick, especially if it gets damp. Polyester, on the other hand does not absorb moisture in its fibers and the springingness keeps the tiny sound routes open so that the sound can get in and get trapped.

I've figured that out. You can do a lot with baffles and vents and crossover networks, and I think you can sometimes get the same results with an equaliser.
I recommend electronic equalization as a last step for any woofer or subwoofer. It is just impossible to get it right mechanically.

Does anyone know of a decent speaker building forum?
I go here. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdis ... forumid=67 It has speaker forums, too.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Hmm. Factory rebuilt Electrovoice pair for sale on Ebay:

I wish I had the room..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Bob Scott wrote:I wish I had the room..
For the EV or... :mrgreen:

Couldn't resist THAT one!

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Externet

Post by Externet »

You do not need the room... :grin:

Remove the frame, cone and dust cover centre; (leave the massive magnet, spider and coil intact); apply superepoxy to the coil rim; hang it from a window upper frame and let the glue set it against the center of a glass pane, the biggest the better...

You end with a many square feet of radiating speaker, no ugly-to-ladies huge acoustic box. But she may faint when opens the draperies. :shock:

Get earthquake damage insurance too... :cool:
- Abolish the deciBel ! -