Red Everywhere

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Julius

Red Everywhere

Post by Julius »

The picture of my tv is red. I mean the whole screen is red even the people in the picture. Im just using rabbit ears antenna and composite input for DVD player. The DVD player is also red when watching movie. So, my question is which color is missing? Green and blue? :mad:
Robert Reed

Re: Red Everywhere

Post by Robert Reed »

Sounds like the only CRT cathode emitting is the red one. Time to dig out the DVM and a good print.
Ken1

Post by Ken1 »

Is this tv a Zenith by any chance? I've seen lots of Zenith's do this.
Edd

Post by Edd »

The initial information before / after " my tv is red" should have been its brand and model number, and a guesstimate of its age or verication from the rear labelling information.We are assuming it to be a dominance of red, rather than the totally rarer dropping out of both the additional blue and green info. Also, was this onset gradual or just immediately one day ?
Is the problem present at both cold set and warmed up set times ? Is the problem intermittent?
Does the sets picture color change with a healthy open hand slap ( 11'teen ergs short of the damage threshold) to the back cabinet cover of the set, considering it to be a table model in a plastic cabinet ?
An initial guess-analysis would be a floating driver transistor or power resistor on the kine driver PCB of the set within a solder connection(s) or interconnecting plug /jack combo. The last thought would be the development of an interelectrode leakage / short within the red gun assembly of the pic tube..... :( . (The last logo should have appropriately been in red, but blue was all that was available.)

73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;)

When they broke open molecules, they found they were only stuffed with atoms.
But then, when they broke open atoms, they found them stuffed with explosions.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Sounds like your reason for buying into HDTV on a big screen have just arrived!
Then, fix the old one at your leisure. :)
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

heres 2 cents worth,, either you have a shorted red gun (cathode to filiment)or your missing the green and blue drive on the other guns.
if you have a gun short,, you will more than likely see a super bright red screen with diagonal lines of brighter red.
( if the set doesn't shut down 1st)
if you have such a short it can be fixed in a crude way.. if you have this let me know, and i can tell you the secret.
Julius

Post by Julius »

Thank you for the feedback. You provided me with a lot of information. The TV is a Emerson TV/VCR combo and was manufacture in 1995. The model number is VT9110. The problem just started couple weeks ago. When I first turn it on, I notice that the picture took while to come up and Im already hearing audio. The next day, I turn it on and picture came up right away but I notice some color distortion in the picture. (They were little bit of green color in the picture.) Then the following day, when I turn it on, the picture just become red and its been like this ever since. My first thought that one of the gun when bad. Its been almost 10 years now, since we had this tv and it serves us really well. I did slap it couple times on the back just to see if I could get the gun to fire up but no luck. I haven't get a chance to opend it up and you guys already been helpful providing me a lot info. I was leaning toward a bad CRT and you give me that info to narrow it down. Now, dacflyer got me interested on that secret to fix short gun. You probably dont mind sharing it to fellow tech.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok, if it is a gun short, your screen would be the super bright red with retrace lines in the screen.
they do make / sell a picture tube isolator for god knows how much,,but if your like me,, CHEAP..heehe
i have devised a way to do this for just the cost of a piece of wire about 2ft long.

what you do is... locate on the neck board of the tv the heater connections . cut both traces to the filiment. isolate them because theres always one connection that shares a common ground.
once you have done this. get you a piece of 18-20Ga. solid wire about 2 ft long, then wrap about 3-4 turns around the core of the flyback transformer. (you might have to add 1-2 turns depending on the required voltage needed to heat the filiment start out with 4 then add or take away if needed, the filiment should have a soft glow, not BRIGHT! ,) once you have made the turns around the flyback transformer, secure them with a zip tie or such.then lightly twist them, leading up to the neck board. solider the wires to the filiment connections and test..this should hopefully cure the problem, your picture should start to show in about 5-7 seconds or so. most picture tube filiments are about 6-6.5 volts.. measure it with your DVM AC.
let me know if this helps you..i have had great success with this in gun shorts. most tv's shut down when this happends. but not all older sets shut down for gun shorts. ;)
cato

Post by cato »

You slapped it on the back?...no no no this will never do.... back slapping is for buddies at a bar..... for a red shift...i recommend slapping the side...or...you know.... moving a few billion light years closer....

any chance you have kids that have been playing with the tint control?