Electronics Assembly at Home

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
HomeAssembler

Electronics Assembly at Home

Post by HomeAssembler »

I am interested in doing assembly of electronics at home, mostly soldering electronic components on PCB's. There are companies that mail components and instructions to home assemblers who assemble their product and mail it back to them. The assembler gets paid a fixed amount per working assembly send back to the company.
Does anyone know how to find these companies ? Do any listings exist ?<p>I appreciate any help in this regard.
amuron

Re: Electronics Assembly at Home

Post by amuron »

I use 4-5 home assemblers to build my prototypes. However they bill me by the hour, as with prototypes, its pretty hard to put a firm figure on the price. There are a few outfits that do low volume production (under 1K units/year this way), but they are rare. While home assembly is cheap, its way to risky for production IMHO.<p>Here is a list of questions I ask my home assemblers. It might help you prepare for client meetings.<p>1. what is your track record, delivery and quality.
2. Can you guarantee a delivery date. Will you accept a penalty reward system for delivery.
3. What are your quality procedures, esd procedures, calibration certs etc, and do you have insurance to cover any problems. Eg your house burns down, and $1000 of my inventory is ruined. No one has liability insurance though, my last quote exceeded the prices my MD friends pay for malpractice ins.
4. What equipment do you have (2 of my home builders have vision systems, 1 has a full blown rework station.
5. What samples of work do you have.
6. How do you handle intellectual property issues
7. Who are your references
8. What is your rate ( a rate too low is almost as bad as one too high )
9. What are your terms for payment. I like to pay my assemblers partially ahead of time. It gives me priority, and quick delivery, as effectively, I purchased a block of time from them.<p>Best regards
Ron