12 Volt dc power for florescent lights

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jodan

12 Volt dc power for florescent lights

Post by jodan »

I have several florescent light fixtures that use two fifteen watt tubes. These fixtures were powered with 12 volts dc. The inverter/ballast in these fixtures have failed.

I would like to replace the old inverter/ballast. I have not been able to find replacements. I have been looking for a circuit that I could build, without any luck.

I have even considered using a low power inverter with a conventional ballast.

I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions or words of wisdom.
:roll:
Mike

Re: 12 Volt dc power for florescent lights

Post by Mike »

I have little to no knowledge relating to florescent lighting, but I have an inverter I took out of a scanner that was used to power the florescent light in there. I am able to connect a 9V battery to it and it lights up the florescent light.<p>Possibly try to find a broke scanner with a working light and take the inverter out.<p>Or, many computer stores sell florescent lighting for PCs that come with an inverter. It runs off of 12VDC and makes enough power to light the small florescent tubes.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Because you don’t know much about the 12 volt Fluro systems, the easiest way is to buy surplus invertors like back lighting types for computer lap tops. <p>I have seen surplus ones that are real cheap, and they usually provide the 100 plus volts needed to light the tubes. The higher the Frequency, the less need for the heater elements working in the ends of the Tubes.
Numlock

Post by Numlock »

This might help you out.
Numlock

Post by Numlock »

Oops! Sorry about that. This is the 12 volt version.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Two 15 watt tubes may not get to full output with the AllElectronics supply- specs look like 5 watts total. ? Worth a try though!
How about digging into one of the old dead supplies and build a copy? Probably a pair of bipolars (maybe MOSFETS) in the inverter. The transformer would be the hard piece to duplicate, but then it's probably the transistors that failed anyway! Good luck!
John
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

contact a company called THINLITE OR THINLIGHT
they sell the ballast..this all they make
they make mostly 12 flourescent lights for RV's
and solar systems , there are all types of fixtures and parts available..<p>heres the address... http://www.thinlite.com/products.htm main page
http://www.thinlite.com/prod16.htm ballast page<p>I belive you might need the OIB-116
This will drive (2) 15watt tubes