VHS or hi8 recorder..

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

VHS or hi8 recorder..

Post by dacflyer »

i been looking for a battery operated video recorder...not camera..i already have a cam,i need something compact
i been looking to see if i could find a video cam with optional video inputs..but i find no such thing,,can anyone advise me where i can find one that RECORDS.battery players are no problem to find,,,but recorders are...thanx
paulrevelcet

Re: VHS or hi8 recorder..

Post by paulrevelcet »

Is this what you are looking for? WEB PAGE<p>if not I will keep looking.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Spendy, aren't they dacflyer?
You might be better off with a cheap used laptop with a video capture card.
For my desktop PC, the $16 video card I bought on Ebay will digitize and record on the hard drive, and its' a dinosaur, built in 1998.
Just a thought. :D
WA2RBA
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

:mad: EEEEEPPP!!!!
man ! that is pricy ! too much for this poor city worker..
was sort of hoping for a small vcr type.
the digital ones are neeto tho..but i'd have to get a 2nd mortguage..lol<p>a laptop is not my option either..they do not seem to catch all the frames for some reason or another..so i get a choppy video , not a smoothe one..so i need to keep looking..thanks guys,,keep em coming...
Mike

Post by Mike »

Every new camcorder has video inputs, so I don't know why you can't find one. I have a sony 8mm digital camcorder, and I was able to hook it up to my old 8mm analog camera (the new one can't read these tapes), so I could use the new camera's firewire interface to transfer the video from the old camera to my PC.<p>Otherwise, if you have a PC, the ATI Rage 128 Pro video card (32MB 4X AGP) does a great job of capturing composite video inputs. It isn't the slightest bit choppy and the recorded video is perfectly matched to the audio, even in MPEG1 mode.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanks mike,,i will look int the new video cams.
but last time i asked at "circle jerk city"
or "worst buy" they didn;t have a clue what i was talking about..they said why do i want a video cam with aux video input..Grrrr
jwax

Post by jwax »

Ask the "Circle-City-Jerkers" to check this site for you, since their store is a US distributor-
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm
It's a TV/FM/video converter to a USB computer port. Laptop got USB? You're good to go! :D
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

I wouldn't buy anything from "circle jerk city" or "worst buy" but I'm pretty sure almost every new camera does. I bought mine at Meijer, so I'm sure any store will carry one with such a feature.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

While it doesn't have it's own battery compartment, it does run on 12V!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... pId-634955<p>If you are looking for anything like this (battery powered) the best places to look are the RV markets. Try one in your local area.<p>Used to be a time when you could walk into the local WalKmaSears store and find battery (12V plug) powered VCRs for the kiddies for the cars. Now its all DVD etc.<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

wow.cool..that RV unit has got it all..will check into that,,looks like my best deal so far..
thanks...
but keep looking..
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Just a quick thought, what is the standard voltage used by the guts of a home VCR - that's the voltage after the power xfrmr and regulators? If it's low enough, wouldn't you be able to adapt a home model? Or is the added ruggedness and movement compensation of a portable unit necessary? <p>As I said, just a thought...<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Dell (other people too I suppose) sells a pretty slick little DVD recorder made by Sony. It's called DVDIRECT Video Recordable Drive. VRD-VC10. It has S-video inputs, Composite video inputs, and an audio input. It's made for writing from your camcorder to a DVD. You can put up to 12 hours on one DVD. So it says anyway. I don't remember what it cost :( Under $300.00 I think... Maybe under $200.00 Not sure.<p>[ January 19, 2005: Message edited by: NE5U ]</p>
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i was looking for something compact and conventional , as in VHS or HI8 because..i will be using this on my ultralight to video stuff as i fly..i used to have a recorder but it died on me. the cam is seperate..i already have modified this to where it has a wired remote for the zoom auto focus / light balance etc.. i also have it mounted on a home made pan/tilt pod.
but for me space is of concern.. thats why i was hoping for like somehting like a camcorder with a optional video input. still looking.. smaller the better.. thanx.