Crow bar protection , Help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Alan87I

Crow bar protection , Help

Post by Alan87I »

What I'm trying to do is run to identicail power supplies together . I get good results . so far I'm running a amp with them . But when the amp is modulated the current draw is increased from what I can figure it increases to fast causing the crow bar curcuit to shut the supplies down .
The supplies are old units from Mocom 70 radios .
I need some advice on eliminating them or modifying them to stop the auto shut down . Thanks Allan
Dean Huster

Re: Crow bar protection , Help

Post by Dean Huster »

Since your problem seems to be tripping on either transients or on short-term power peaks, you might consider adding a large capacitor to the output of the power supply. It can dump the short-term current needed by the load without tripping the crowbar or current-limiting circuit. If you get that cap too large, however, you can have the same problem as the supply trips trying to charge the cap when you first turn it on.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Alan87I

Re: Crow bar protection , Help

Post by Alan87I »

I tried a 1700 75Vdc it's the only one big enough here on hand . It didn't help . But I have sort of figured out that a M4242 transistor controls the crow bar . It only has voltage on one pin
in normal operation. I can't find a referance for this device any where. It's wired to work as a switch with vdc on the case one pin grounded and tied to the other with a 57 ohm resistor.
I'm going to experiment with resistance values .
see if I can make it work or make smoke . Thanks Allan