Box O Vacume Tubes

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ericcarson

Box O Vacume Tubes

Post by ericcarson »

I have a box of assorted vacume tubes, about 30-40. some dont work but the rest I either cant test or I do not have the numbers for my tester. Anyone interested?
L. Daniel Rosa

Re: Box O Vacume Tubes

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Sure. Do you want to get rid of them all at once, or a few here and a few there? I don't know if I want to spring for the shipping on 30-40 without knowing what they are (some are bulky). A little info like what are the three most common numbers will help move them fast.
ericcarson

Post by ericcarson »

Okay I will look, Right off I can tell you there are quite a few of 6A type and some of the omes with a plastic base, like 2 7 pin high voltage rectifiers stuuf like that but I will have more info tomorrow (3-14)
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

My brother gave me a box of tubes he found during some home renovation. Turns out that it was old tubes that were pulled to fix TVs, so all were bad -- open heaters, low emission, shorts, etc. Things to look out for (bad things) are tubes that aren't in boxes or tubes in boxes that don't match in either type number or brand.<p> Unless the tubes are NOS (new old stock), they likely aren't worth fooling with unless they're really old or rare and still have some life in them.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
ericcarson

Post by ericcarson »

Well soory for the delay, I got the numbers off off them and there are quite a few:
9J10
6BAH
6AW
6AU
6BN
1X2A/1X2B
6BK5
5AQ5
6AFUA
618A
12R5
Alan87I

Post by Alan87I »

I bought a box full of tubes once and got burned as well. They were all old pulls. But If any one needs some good tubes check out http://www.fairradio.com/ I bought my last pair for an old amp there , A lot cheaper that other places on the net. They have new and used (pulled and tested ) from old not worth fixing equipment.They also have tons of old radio and test equipment. Some Military surplus. Allan
Charles

Post by Charles »

find an old used copy of RCA Recieving tubes or check the library. most of the tubes will probally be in there. Wont tell how to test them but will have pinouts and general info on each