A/C compressor (auto)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Robert Reed

Re: A/C compressor (auto)

Post by Robert Reed »

Sorry Dac, for being off the post, but I just had to respond to Frhwra on this one. It took the auto makers 40 ? years to get the shift lever off the floor, and for the last 20 where do the idiots put it - back on the floor (actually counsel, same thing). After holding off for 5 years in replacing my TrailBlazer because I finally thought they would come to their senses on that issue, I finally succumbed and bought what they offered. What a complete nuisance with the shifter and emergency brake sitting on the hump. So crowded, I am banging into it all the time. Its like MONKEYS designed it!
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

yeah, but if they hadn't gotten if off the column, where would they put the windshield wiper controls, radio/stereo controls, tilt wheel controls, hazard switch, that stupid air bag that pops out, lets see, what else have they crammed on the column?
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

The small screen TV of course, so you could sit back and enjoy your favorite program while on those long boring trips. After all, the car isn't an automobile anymore-it's a rolling media center :shock:
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Not that I can add anything constructive to this thread but what the hell.

Years ago (about 25 years ago) my dad gave the wife and I a pretty minty 1978 Pontiac Bonneville Brougham. Unlike an earlier version of the same make and model I had owned this version was powered by the 301 cubic inch V8. Severely underpowered for the weight of the car. GM actually went to the extent of placing a N/C switch on the throttle so when the pedal was to the metal it would drop out the compressor clutch on the air conditioning compressor. My take at the time was that the A/C required 5 to 7 horsepower and that power could be better used passing a big truck on the road before another big truck, traveling in the opposite direction ruined your day. :)

Ron
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Hi Ron.

The A/C disable on WOT (wide open throttle) would be normal in most cars as far as I know. Also the EGR solenoids should switch off. Like you say, they do it for the sake of safety when you absolutely need WOT more than you need comfort or pollution controls.

I had a '68 version of the your Pontiac Bonneville, a convertible with 400CID. I really miss having it exept for when I drive by gas stations I am shocked back to reality. Here in Vancouver, gas is now ~$5.00/US gal. That's ~$6.00/IMP gal, $1.33/L. US and C Dollars are at about par.

EDITED: I didn't like the sound of "when I pass gas " :mrgreen:
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

our old car that we traveled across country had this big round tube that hung on the window, looked like a small turbine engine.. you filled with water and took off.. the wind spun the turbins and the air going by the water put out nice cool (wet) air.. worked great for its time.. we always got sprinkles of water along with the cool air.. would like to find one of those now, what a keeper..
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

frhrwa wrote:our old car that we traveled across country had this big round tube that hung on the window, looked like a small turbine engine.. you filled with water and took off.. the wind spun the turbins and the air going by the water put out nice cool (wet) air.. worked great for its time.. we always got sprinkles of water along with the cool air.. would like to find one of those now, what a keeper..
A swamp cooler for a car. :)

Thinking back to those wonderful days of yesteryear. How did we ever evolve less air conditioning? I remember trips to the beaches on Long Island in the 56 Pontiac where dad would monitor the temperature gauge. Cars around us were overheating and dad would turn on the heater full blast in an effort to further remove heat from the engine. Mom never could grasp that. Dad was an engineer and creature comfort was never a factor in his decision making process. :)

The A/C quit in the wife's jeep a few years ago. She just rides with the windows down. I think it reminds her of her childhood. This spring she is inline for a new vehicle (new to her anyway).

Ron
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

yep.. I remember the heater trick.. also carrying the burlap bag on the front of the car full of water.. usually evaporated through the radiator long before you'd ever need it tho..